• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Willow

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have turned some lovely fruit bowls from part seasoned willow its a bit plain at times a lot of turners say its no good for turning but when challenged it turns out most of them have never turned it they are just repeating what someone else has told them all wood is worth having a go even just for the experience if some one can make a cricket bat from it and it can take all that hitting a bloody hard ball why cant it be made into a bowl go for it Dave

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys, I've got an opportunity of acquiring some but had heard, like a lot of people, that it doesn't turn we'll. Like you all said, it's worth giving it a go so I'll have to get some. I'll let you know when I've turned some and what happens. Thanks again for the input.

Jim

Grand Master
If you have chance of picking up some of this wood Dave, i would say go with it my friend ... Never turned any myself thou .. :whistling:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Willow, the Salix family, comprises many sub species. Salix Alba, or the White Willow, is used for cricket bats because it is a light wod that doesnt splinter easily. All species of willow as Alex mentions are classified Not Durable, and is known as a class 5 timber. The Salix family also contains the Weeping willow which is easily identifiable and the tree that many refer to as "willow". This tree grows at all angles and spends it life normally on river banks, thriving on the wet. "Have you turneed Willow?" is an unqualified question that will get very mixed responses because the question is not specific, the more specific question should get more agreement in the answers. Same applys to Leylandii. Golden Leylandii turns beautifully, the other stuff, I am told, doesnt, similar to the Willow Question.

Dont know if Woody has turned Weeping Willow, but I did once and it was orrible. however others may have different experiences, I have never tried Cricket Bat Willow. I held a cricket bat once but it didnt get in the way and the ball hit the stumps.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).