• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

comon

cowboy

Registered
ok so it`s been very quite on this forum, all of you that say you are too heavy handed and you could never master the scroll saw l have some tips that l tell all people trying a scroll for the 1st time is!

1] take your time and let the blade cut the wood for you

2]never force the blade

3]never try and cut a straight line with-out turning the piece of wood at a angle

l will carry on this when l get back from work this afternoon with more info

cowboy

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I look forward to learning about the scroll saw, how am I going to get it past her? :funny:

Matt

Registered
Look forward to the next bunch of tips. I'd also be interested in ways to sneak one past my other half :bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul and Matt in the boot of the car bring it out when she has a birthday or on some special occasion SWMBO caught the scroll saw bug many years ago cause she is an artist and loved painting cats hanging off doors and standing in corners anything for the kids and grandkids my theory is her indoors may just simply say what a lovely thought why dont you set it up and have and learn how to use it.

Best of british luck anyway.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for these Graham, i may just be tempted to try another S/Saw knowing that there is a "For Dummies" list of tips .. :thumbs:

3]never try and cut a straight line with-out turning the piece of wood at a angle

This must be one of the biggest mistakes a newbie makes when using a S/Saw ... I know i never did this .. :rolling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have tried it and made a few toys and decorative bits but as much as I enjoy looking at a good bit of fret work It just isn't for me so I sold the fretsaw but you never know I may be tempted to try again

cowboy

Registered
part 2

1] take your time and let the blade cut the wood for you

2]never force the blade

4]Work slowly with a gentle pressure. If your blade is bowing under the pressure, you're moving too fast!

5]The best tip of all: Take your time and enjoy the tool -- have patience!

for all those that have never used a scroll saw or are interested in using one here is a video to explain things better for you rather than have me rabbit on with endless writing l have the test pattern that he is using which will be just below the video

Scroll Saw Cutting for Beginners Pt 2 - YouTube

if any one would like to try and use a scroll saw with out buying one. or have used one and found it hard to use, if you could get to Huddersfield l will guarantee you will have made some thing before you go home. practice practice practice:wink:

ask a question and l will try and answer about the scroll saw

oh l forgot to tell you. l entered a competition Making a Jewellery Box - Evolution Power Tools if you have not yet voted WHY please vote and like thank you

Attachments

• PracticeGuides.jpg
    PracticeGuides.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 33

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Cowboy I would like to add that when you first start keep it simple until you have got a bit of practice under your belt. Many people try and take on something that is a bit challenging and wonder why it does not turn out right.

cowboy

Registered
very true Delboy l had forgot to put that one in thanks for reminding me there are loads of free patterns on Steve Goods site with loads of video clips from how to start and finish your work.

cowboy

cowboy

Registered
one more l forgot is never run your scroll saw at full speed if you have a verible speed saw on thinner work piece it will cut too fast and ruin what ever you are cutting. start off slow and work your speed up to where you feel comfortable

cowboy

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Another thing is that people buy the cheapest scroll saw and get very disheartened when it does not take the full range of blades or rattles around the table like a kangaroo.

Hope you don't mind me just jumping in Cowboy:wink:

cowboy

Registered
Another thing is that people buy the cheapest scroll saw and get very disheartened when it does not take the full range of blades or rattles around the table like a kangaroo.

Hope you don't mind me just jumping in Cowboy:wink:

no not get a problem with it crack on the more tips the better :wink:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
One thing I learned yesterday is to try to keep as much 'meat' around a cut as possible for as long as possible. I cut an intricate piece away from the main project too early, then broke fine bits off while I was trying to cut the rest. Just a bit of forward-planning needed, I guess!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).