• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Claro Walnut and pewter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is an old in fact one of my early projects some 20 odd years ago in Claro Walnut with a pewter lid and feet I have just put a new backdrop and floor in my light tent and wanted to see how the photos come out need some expert opinions please as well as any others I am still waiting for my tripod so I do apologise for the wonky photo its not easy at my age getting down on one knee to take photos LOL I think I need to raise the whole thing up a bit
DSCF0055.JPGDSCF0056.JPG

And an acrylic Pristina Pen

DSCF0051.JPGDSCF0052.JPG

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Well, im not an expert by any means in photography but these pics are the muts nuts mate! Maybe raise it up yes, but you still get a good balance and sense of proportion. The pieces in the pics aint too shabby either!:wink::thumbs:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Love the box/vase/urn or whatever it is Woody, really beautiful. The Pristina is quite apt as I've got two to do, hope they come out as nice as yours mate.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Beautiful urn if that is what it's called Woody, and lovely pen indeed! I got no bloody idea about photos as you have noticed lol but it all looks ok to me!:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I love the Walnut and pewter, especially the feet. The Pristina is a lovely pen I have done quite few of them, a lovely kit.

The photos look okay, but the background looks grey and it just needs the levels sorting out, have you tried that program Paul has posted about? Lifting the levels can make such a big difference to your images. I don't know how far you want to go with your photos so I am reluctant to say any more if you are happy with them as they are. I don't like the texture of the background where it shows much more in the shadows, but that is a minor thing overall. Sorry, you did say you wanted opinions:wink:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I love the Walnut and pewter, especially the feet. The Pristina is a lovely pen I have done quite few of them, a lovely kit.

The photos look okay, but the background looks grey and it just needs the levels sorting out, have you tried that program Paul has posted about? Lifting the levels can make such a big difference to your images. I don't know how far you want to go with your photos so I am reluctant to say any more if you are happy with them as they are. I don't like the texture of the background where it shows much more in the shadows, but that is a minor thing overall. Sorry, you did say you wanted opinions:wink:

Peter

Thank you Peter I do want to get it right now I have started I will continue experimenting with the camera I'm not keen on the texture of the background myself but it will do for now

Jim

Grand Master
Turnings look great as usual Woody, no matter what age they are .. :thumbs:

Just a comment on the background my friend, try using a piece of perspex .. Especially outdoors ..

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you Peter I do want to get it right now I have started I will continue experimenting with the camera I'm not keen on the texture of the background myself but it will do for now

If you look at the first photo of the Walnut box you will see quite a large dark area right at the front and a smaller area on the second photo. That is caused by the opening at the front of your tent not reflecting as much light in as it does on the side walls.

I don't know how far away your camera is from the tent so it is hard for me to say exactly how to overcome that, but if you had a piece of white card or similar at the front of the tent (on the outside) but with a hole cut out that would allow you to see the subject fully, then the white card would reflect light back into the tent reducing the shadows under the box and lightening that dark area. It doesn't have to be white card it could be foil.

The pens look good and only need a slight levels tweak, it may be only the bigger subjects where you need to reflect light in from the front.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).