• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I had an image that I wanted to turn but I don't think it works.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I had an image of a lidded bowl in my mind that I wanted to have a go at so I made it from P/Heart with a chunky Blackwood finial. I am not sure of the square section of the bowl so I nearly confined it to the scrap bin but SWMBO thinks if I put a radius on the corners it will look ok.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 49
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 49

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I not sure about the finial the rest is good

is this the piece you got at the show in march

Matt

Registered
I'm not sure if I'm honest but I do recognise the talent and skill that goes into a piece like this so well done :thumbs::thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well the box looks good to me mate I think its just the finial effecting the overall balance maybe round of the two step at the bottom of the finial and creat a concave in place of the bottom bead

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Well the box looks good to me mate I think its just the finial effecting the overall balance maybe round of the two step at the bottom of the finial and creat a concave in place of the bottom bead

That is a thought Woody but I am still not convinced about the corners on the bowl section. It's funny when you have an idea which you think will look good but in reality it doen't !!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
No I like the box if you remove the corners I think you will regret it look at the whole thing and imagine it without the corners personally I don't think it will work as well but Im not the creator mate it has to please you at the end of the day

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well I like it Terry, its different, has broken the mould, is attractive and well turned and finished.

Jim

Grand Master
I believe you knew that the finial would be the vocal point of this piece Terry, so a big thank you for facing the Lions .. The bowl is superb, a great piece of turning and finishing my friend .. A very skilful piece of turning indeed .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I think the square section is fine. Last weekend when I was at a woodturning seminar the turner made a square section lidded bowl and it was not as nice as yours, although the one thing I liked about his was that he had a lip at the top of the bowl. I think you should live with it for a while as it is and see if you change your mind. You could always cut out a circle from card and place it on top, it may give you an inkling how it would look if you rounded it off.:thumbs::thumbs:

Peter

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Many thanks for the comments gents. You all seem to agree that the finial should be altered or replaced which I will do after I come back from my hols. I wasn't going to take the corners off completely just radius them slightly. I will put the bowl in a prominent position where I can look at it and try and visualise what to do about the finial!!!:thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
No no no mr chairman, that is just perfect the way it is mate. The square section is spot on and brings balance to the rest of the piece. This mate most certainly doesn't belong in any bin! Beautiful work Terry! :thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry too much self appraisal mate it is different I love the tech screw on top in preference to the delicate looking Richard Raffan look alikes that sets you bowl apart from others. The effect of the lid top favours the shape in MHO exceeds others for your individual piece. Love many trust few but always paddle your own canoe, never lend your trailer.

Enjoy your holiday mate.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred::claps::waver:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).