• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jim, I think you are a saint...!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

Let's imagine that this site is a hall owned by Jim, our leader. He comes up with an idea to invite his acquaintances (us) to spend some time in this hall, where we can meet up to exchange knowledge, views and ideas. So here we all are, and things are going well. Suddenly, the door opens and in walks a total stranger and without so much as acknowledging Jim, nor introducing himself to anyone, proceeds to starts flogging stuff from a suitcase. Now, if it were my hall, considering the money, time and effort I've put into it, I'd grab this geezer by the scruff of the neck and toss him back into the street! While he's laying on his arse in the gutter, I'd give him a lecture on the social graces - (a) Introduce himself, (b) Ask permission before using someone's premises as a market place, (c) Before attempting to sell anything give some personal background info to his intended customers.

This hall, of course, does not exist, but this site does, and the comparisons I've made still apply. This is Jim's property and we are his guests. He runs the site excellently, which is why it has become so well regarded (remember, good sites are like icebergs - there is far more ice beneath the waves than can be seen, and more guests visit here than there are members).

So, if any of you "visitors" are looking in with a view to offering stuff for sale do the right thing - approach Jim for permission. Then, if he OK's it, make a post and properly introduce yourself to the members. It's the RIGHT thing to do!!!

Regards to all (and to Jim in particular!):thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thank you for that Bob absolutely spot on init? :bravo::bravo::bravo:

Anyone wanna a used car?
Ford crapi four sail init?

Matt

Registered
Couldn't have said it better myself. I for one am happy to have found "Jim 's Hall" and a great group of mates :thumbs:

mattyts

Registered
I agree too,we have a great forum set up here with a lot of hard work being put in by Jim.

Perhaps,the sales section could be unlocked after 50 posts? This would ensure that people have been on the forum,introduced themselves etc.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Amen to that Bob!! This is NOT ebay, and some people seem to have forgotten their manners! I've been on here for a relatively ahort time now and have got to sat it's the only forum out of the many I've tried that I'm staying with. That of course is in part, due to the people on here, but my hat goes of to Jim for every second he puts into this site. If im having a crap day at work, ten minutes on here with you lot always seems to do the trick.
Jim mate, this is your house, and I for one like it just the way it is!!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I agree too,we have a great forum set up here with a lot of hard work being put in by Jim.

Perhaps,the sales section could be unlocked after 50 posts? This would ensure that people have been on the forum,introduced themselves etc.

That's a good idea, Matt. It will also stop blokes signing on just for financial gain!

Bob.

L200arg

Graduate Member

I agree with you on this matt.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Matty I think you have crowned it with that idea.
Jim's forums, Jim's decision??????
But one I wouldn't think would require a vote.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for this Bob, and of course to all the replies .. I did have have a few PM's this last week regarding the said issue and i have now come to accept that it may be an issue ..

This forum is doing what i had hoped it to do, i do want people coming here and offering us guys kits and accessories at a decent price with good service .. This is our forum i enjoy doing exactly the same as you guys do, i come here and learn from everyone willing to share their knowledge with us .. I could go on and on but it may sound like a rant ... :whistling:
For now i have used the ranking system and made it that no one can post in the Buy and Sell forum until they reach the "Turner" level .. It is our first step, if this does not work then we will look at it it again ..

Thank you all for the great support that you all give to this forum .. :thumbs:

Matt

Registered
Good one Jim, I think it's all too easy for us to forget how much work and effort you put in to making this the great forum it is :ciggrin: you are appreciated I can assure you :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I cannot agree more Bob. These people shouldn't have a free market place and like other things on here should have to have so many posts before they can sell anything especially people who just bombard us with waffle about my engineering company... and buy this buy that.

Keel haul them!

Do we look like a bunch of suckers?

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Bob, if Jim is a saint, does that make you an Apostle? :pray: Incredibly well put by the way, you have said what so many of us were too polite to say, well done!:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

Jim, great idea on the sales, putting a bit of a brake on the gold diggers can only improve the tone of this great forum, I have been and indeed am a member of numerous forums over the years, and this is undoubtably the best I have never known such a generally great group as this one,and long may it remain that way.:thumbs:

We all like shiny new toys, but there is a way of approaching the selling part :winking: generally there is very little rudeness on here, well apart from the obvious :winking: but an awful lot of good humour, help, advice and generosity, and as been said previously I for one look forward to visiting the forum:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I must have missed something and I can't find any posts about it, has he left or threw his toys out again?

It's good to have a few hoops for sellers to go through, they have a captive audience here for certain products so it can't be a hardship to do an intro and feel their way rather than just kick off with a sales spiel.

cookie21 it's a bit disconcerting that you use the same avatar as Goulss I keep thinking it's Goulss when I see that avatar.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).