• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Whoo Hoo My new job.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As you all know I have been job hunting since my last contract finished.
Well being disillusioned with the IT world and the drop in wages and the extra hours they all want for less pay, I started looking at different jobs for me, a change, something new and challenging.

Maybe not so challenging, It's time to start easing up and enjoying my life and my work.
Among the hundreds of jobs I applied for were many part time jobs even cleaning jobs all to no avail.

Out of the blue came an email, a reply to my application, can't be for me are they sure they got the right person?
It is, it is for me, a first in the history of Brian, somebody is actually interested in me enough to want to know more.
Who is this person? What is the job? A scan of my confuser tells me it is a part time job, two days a week delivering wine, now this sounds right up my street, back to the email and a reply to them.
Yes I can find time to come for a chat with you, (you betchya I can init?).

Alison explained they are a small expanding friendly company run by herself and her hubby, buying wines from small vineyards around the world, everything from entry level to connoisseur wines.
Van delivery days of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are getting too much for the existing driver, who has other commitments within the company but will keep the Fridays if he can get help for the other two days.

I felt at ease with Alison straight away (you all know how shy and nervous I am DON'T YOU?)
We had a good long chat, I told her honestly about my heart attack and spinal stenosis, assuring her that two days per week would be a breeze and showed her I can still lift but do have limits as to my fitness.
I thought maybe I was talking too much and putting her off of me rather than impressing her and was surprised when she asked when I wanted to start, I was being chosen over approx 230 people who had applied for the job, how good does that feel?

I don't start till next Wednesday but I am looking forward to it, such a change from what I have been doing lately.

Yes it's only a part time job but its what you make of it that counts, I see it as helping a young couple to build their business and take the opportunity to promote the company that is employing me.

So I want you all to look at their website and stick in a whacking great big order, C'mon you know you like a drop of Vino init?
I don't deliver the internet orders so you're safe, I won't be knocking on your door.:nonono:
Please do mention my name if you get the opportunity, not for my gain but so they know where the referral has come from.
Have a look here

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is fantastic news Brian, it'll stop you going stir crazy and allow you to buy lots of toys. I'm so pleased I'm going to have a pint tonight to celebrate.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good on yer mate you deserve a break I thought a taster job would be better for you LOL :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Glad to hear the good news mate
A change can give a different perspective in many ways, and it sounds like you're on a winner. It's also nice to hear that it is a small company working to achieve their goals, I've got all the time in the world for grafters! bloody good on ya nate!!!:thumbs::thumbs:

I'm sure we could all offer to be testers for new products too, quality control if you will eh:winking::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks Walter if you are the only one on the forum who does It's one more customer than they had before they met me init?
Thanks to all for the good wishes.
They really are nice people and that goes a long way to making a good working atmosphere I find.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Congrats Brian :thumbs:
Unfortunately "Her indoors" and I don't drink wine. She like a spot of Vodka, well actually quite a bit of vodka :funny: and on the odd occasions I drink it's either larger or Mead

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Good for you Brian, make sure you get a discount. I have looked at the site and there are wines that look interesting and new to me, so I will be ordering a case. I also get wine from near you from the Wine Society, I think that is in Stevenage. I will bookmark the site before I forget.

A few days a week will freshen your mind and still leave you time for yourself it's a win/win:banana::banana::banana:

Peter

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Hi Brian, great news, well done you, you obviously had something they wanted, looks like a cracking little company with some quality wines. Could be tempted with some of their offerings myself, do they do tasters:whistling:

But more importantly it is about you getting a job, which in this world is definitely not easy, so once again well done!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A few days a week will freshen your mind and still leave you time for yourself it's a win/win

That is my plan Peter earn some money to top up the account and still have time for hobbies and other commitments.
I can keep my few computer clients happy and spin some wood etc.
Oh not to forget my household duties init?
And my little viper can keep her job too.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
We'll done Brian, great news. Does that mean you won't be posting on the forum Wednesday and Thursdays? We might get complacent if you don't haha!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Congratulations on the new job two days driving and 3 days drinking two days left for driving the lathe, definitely sounds good to me. Please remember that they say red wine is good for the heart

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).