• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Got an old circular saw blade to recycle?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
After hardening the blade with heating & oil quenching he doesn't show the blade being tempered? Surely a blade like that would be too hard to do anything with?

I've made a few plane irons & have always tempered the blades.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have neglected my knife pursuits, must get back into them, I have loads of blanks n stuff all sitting awaiting my attention.
Thanks for showing, I could watch these things all day init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thanks a lot I ended up watching loads of the films instead of going is me workshop I love the one were the guy carved the blade now I'm going to drag myself away to my workshop for the first time this week good by

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A bit out of my league unfortunately but one day I might have a go. I would use an industrial hack saw though as they are already the correct width. We used to sharpen them up offshore to use as deck knives but without anything fancy on them.

A bit like this one but I'm sure any engineering works would have used ones they would give you.

New Quality HSS Power Hacksaw Blade 21" x 1.1/2" 6TPI | eBay

mattyts

Registered
Didnt see him temper or soften the blade,that will be a struggle to sharpen.

Saw and planer blades make great knives due to their high carbon content,even knives costing several £100 are made from O1 and old files!

One of the best makers on Youtube is "Trollsky" he forges blades from saw blades,rail road spikes and even made some damascus from barbed wire.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A bit like this one but I'm sure any engineering works would have used ones they would give you.
I asked the lads at my old steelworks to save them for me when finished with, and the big steel bandsaw blades, ain't been over there lately to see if they have, must take a trip init?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I asked the lads at my old steelworks to save them for me when finished with, and the big steel bandsaw blades, ain't been over there lately to see if they have, must take a trip init?

No doubt their wallets will be a little lighter and wine stocks a little healthier after that visit:banana:

Bet your overnight bag looks a bit like this :thumbs:

Attachments

• wine.jpg
    wine.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 25

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
No doubt their wallets will be a little lighter and wine stocks a little healthier after that visit:banana:

Bet your overnight bag looks a bit like this :thumbs:

I wish mine did:envy:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brian the video was quite a revelation to me in many ways also quite scary on occasion one in particular running with the sharpened blade up the sanding band coming down looks like he has made a number this way. Thanks Peter.:thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That was a great video, thanks Derek. So given the hullaballoo about tempering, would anyone like to explain the full process of hardening and tempering steel? I have just changed my Radial Arm saw blade ... :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That was a great video, thanks Derek. So given the hullaballoo about tempering, would anyone like to explain the full process of hardening and tempering steel? I have just changed my Radial Arm saw blade ... :bwink:

I have some photos somewhere of making my plane irons which shows how I went about it if it's of any interest.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).