• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Recent Exhibitions.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Not been around in the last week, busy trying to earn a living and being defeated by both Bowler hated baffons and the weather.

Devon County Show. Was there last week, supposed to be a Thursday, Friday and Saturday show. Showground on a hillside, not clever, but you cant level a hill. Showground clay. Not a smart move as a display base for heavy equipment, be they agricultural or not. Poured down with rain and on the Friday morning, they are towing cars into the car parks and pull the show that evening after the amazing conclusion that 60,000 people arriving for the show will have to park their cars somewhere and the car parks are all closed because they are six to eight inches in mud.

Left Devon Friday night, a day early and had a night at home rather than the intended overnight transfer to Burghley house in Stamford for a show on Sunday and Monday. Lovely weather, lovely people and a good show, thank goodness.

And so, back from Burghley on Monday night and pack and dissapear for the Suffolk Agricultural and County Show for Wednesday and Thursday. Disaster. The weather was awful, the place was a swamp, but to the credit of the organisers they had commissioned drilling rigs and bowsers to drill temporary sink holes which they were pumping out and dumping in the Orwell. I have never seen so many people buy so little, every trader there had a dismal show.

So here we are, back from the Suffolk show last night and off to Cressing Temple Barns in a few hours to set up for a small scale craft fair over the weekend. At least I am meeting there a mate who supplies Tunisian Olive Wood which is the best I have ever seen and is beautifully burred. - Not seen yours yet Neil L so cant compare!!!

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Blooming heck, talk about suffering for your art!, good old British weather, don't you just love it!

Keep your chin up, it can only get better, fingers crossed:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a great shame Neil. Not only do you put a lot of effort in to making the pens and paying a lot of money to exhibit but then for the punters to come with empty pockets is very disheartening. I also did a show on the weekend and on Saturday about 20 people come through the gates but on Sunday it was packed. For me it was a good show but I only play at it and selling a few pens is good. My son was also showing his birds by the side of my stand which ensured every single punter came to us...

Hopefully you'll get some better shows from now on and make it a good year.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya mate, sorry you are having such a tough time of it but thanks for for putting that write up on, it substantiate what I said about you in another post. (yep talking about you behind your back, guilty milud lynch me init)

Temple barns? Ain't that Peter Child and Merv Cadman territory, Essex way? I might take a trip out for a quick gander and pop in on my brother with some of his saucepan handles. (that 5 per set turned to 8 per set, he's done me again init)

Wishing you the best of luck mate, make sure you eat properly and excersize regularly init?

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Wotchya mate, sorry you are having such a tough time of it but thanks for for putting that write up on, it substantiate what I said about you in another post. (yep talking about you behind your back, guilty milud lynch me init)

Temple barns? Ain't that Peter Child and Merv Cadman territory, Essex way? I might take a trip out for a quick gander and pop in on my brother with some of his saucepan handles. (that 5 per set turned to 8 per set, he's done me again init)

Wishing you the best of luck mate, make sure you eat properly and excersize regularly init?

Have to search for that pot Brian, missed that. Cressing Temple, yup thats about 12 miles from Peter Childs, but it aint the place it once was.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hope the Temple barns gig has better weather Neil.
I'm still cutting Sycamore at the moment.
Every time we've arranged to harvest Olive, It's been cancelled due to the bloody rain!:rant:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Have to search for that pot Brian, missed that. Cressing Temple, yup thats about 12 miles from Peter Childs, but it aint the place it once was.

It was in the poll you copied your piece to on a previous page.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil,

Looking forward to meeting you again, this time with chainsaw!

I hope you mean for the wood, not me!:face:

Just remember when you're looking at that nice clean imported wood, it won't include the rot, creepy crawlies, stones and rubble that mine includes, at no extra charge!:funny::funny:

I've only had bits from 1 tree, so far, the piece below is pretty representative.
half_640x411.jpg

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
So sorry re the bad weather, Neil - it's a damn shame when you've put so much hard work into your ventures! Good luck for the rest of the year, matey!

Bob.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I hope you mean for the wood, not me!:face:

Just remember when you're looking at that nice clean imported wood, it won't include the rot, creepy crawlies, stones and rubble that mine includes, at no extra charge!:funny::funny:

I've only had bits from 1 tree, so far, the piece below is pretty representative.
View attachment 7124

I'll be there in 10 mins Neil, car is revved up and the 40' trailer attached :funny::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Job is hard enough without fighting the weather, lets hope it changes for the better my friend .. :wink:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Sorry to hear you're having it rough, Neil. On the bright side you might find yourself at the forefront of evolution and grow webs between your toes ... :whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).