• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

To our leaders... a database of pens filed under their respective woods...?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hello Jim, (and members),

How much extra work would this involve you in, my friend? Would it even be feasible?

When I visit the site and see some of the truly marvelous pens our members have made I've often wished that there was a way they could be saved to a database, classified under the wood used. This would mean that if I wanted to see pens made from say, oak, then I'd simply go to the relevant heading and "click" on Oak. Up would pop pens made from the wood, which will then allow me to see not only the various pen styles but the variances in the timber. It's a sad fact that once an offering disappears from the current postings and enters the archives it's a real devil to try and find it again. The same with bowls, platters, etc. They too could be saved to the database.

The considerations I have would be -
(a) only lovely, heirloom type pens should be entered (yes, I know we've all been extremely proud of our "first pens", but are they "showcase" quality?),
(b) no lengthy descriptions, simply the maker's name, pen style, the wood variety - burr oak, brown oak, spalted oak, etc.
(c) and to keep in mind that it's not just the pen style - it's what it's been dressed in and the quality of finish, which should be the deciding factors in whether it goes in or stays out.

Maybe a panel could be formed (odd number to avoid "hung juries") who take votes to what goes in? And remember, the panel would NOT be making decisions comparing one pen against another - if both pens satisfy the above criteria then they both go into the database, if fifty meet the criteria when they ALL go in! The idea is to create a reference database.

Yes, I know there are going to be critics of the above suggestions, and many counter-proposals, but at the end of the day if Jim says No, it's too complicated to achieve or, Bugger off, Bob, I work hard enough already! then, quite rightly, that'll be the end of it.

Regards, to all,

Bob.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
It not a bad idea but might take a lot of organizing but i will help in any way i can

Jim

Grand Master
Thou there would be quite some work in this Bob, i am not sure if you know that you can use the search facility to do something similar? :thinks:

If you click on the Go link at the top right of the screen you will be taken to the advanced search page, now click on the link "Search Single Content Type"

Type in the word of your choice in the "Keyword(s):" area, select either in all posts or title only, then select the forum that you want the search to perform ..

Not sure if this is of any help but i enjoyed typing it ... :whistling::whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It's all already here in the database just needs sorting.
That's exactly what the search facility is a query of the database.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
LEADERS?!?!?!?! We have LEADERS?!?!?!?! I thought the nuts ran this nuthouse ... ? :nooidea::nooidea:

Not sure about your suggestion, Bob - as has been said above the search facility works reasonably well, and being quite a proletarian forum we tend to resist any hint of elitism (e.g. a database of 'masterclass' pens). I used to think otherwise but I've come to love our warped outlook on life, woodturning and everything else so I'd resist it too.

Paul

Fellow
Like keywords. But perhaps you could use "tags" if it has that function then you can tag your pictures with "Oak" " burl" kit type. Then you can search / select on tags.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sorry but this planned mighty floored to even contemplate.
Who is gonna oversee that you have even spelled the wood correkly
Jim has enuff to do telling me off without sorting you lot out init?
You lot can't be trusted to even know how to use a tag let alone remember to tag something yourself so that would need to be done for you or checked you have done it.
You can't spell you don't got a clue how two string a sentarnce togever you dont know a burr from a burl you dont yew's punktewationand your awl file of mitsakes.
an auto poller of the headers is unreliable especially with some of the crazy titles we use if for instance I started a thread with "I burried my dad yesterday and got soaked on the way"
Every time I look up burr or oak I am gonna be reminded of that awful day init?
A panel of odd numbers, I suggest to you good people that we are all odd, that's why we are here.:pray::pray::pray:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yep, now search for burr oak and right at the top of the list is this very post, which as I said reminds me of that awful day yesterday when I got soaked while burying my dear ol dad init?

Paul

Fellow
Blunt chisel is right though, there's a damn fine resource of images on this site of various pens and woods. Just disappearing into the past.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Blunt chisel is right though, there's a damn fine resource of images on this site of various pens and woods. Just disappearing into the past.

Nothing is disappearing, it's still there, you just have to find the right search criteria. When I first joined the forum I made a bolt pen and if I search for bolt pen it tells me I need more criteria, if I put inverted commas around "bolt pen" it comes up all on it's own. Try it.

Peter

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Jim,

Sorry for the late reply (she's had me out shopping all day!)

I accept what you say - I just thought it was a good idea. Now, is there a bus coming?

Regards,

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).