PDA

View Full Version : May Competition Result

Jim
01-06-14, 10:15
Here is the result for May's competition, which in the end had a very good turn out, to which i would like to thatnk everyone for putting in the effort .. :thumbs:

The winning pen set is Entry Number 3 Made by Buckeye (Peter)

http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/comps/5.jpg

The runner up was Entry Number 10 Made by Brody

http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/comps/4.jpg

Well done guys, and a big thanks to everyone who took the vote .. :thumbs:

Doug
01-06-14, 10:32
Congratulations Peter & Brody :claps:

Grump
01-06-14, 10:35
Well done guys both deserve to win.
Mind you did all the others, what a brilliant competition that one was.

Buckeye
01-06-14, 10:45
Wow, I am genuinely stunned, there was one entry that I voted for and it was the one that I wished I had made. It was the letter opener and pen that Neil Lawton made, No 11. I had started making a letter opener and had to drop it at he last minute as it was going to plan, I am glad I did as if it was up against Neils entry it didn't have a chance, mind you I was sure this didn't either.

Well done to Brody I thought it was someone else who had made it, but I know I will be making a lego pen in the future.

Thank you to everyone who voted for it and thank you to Jim for running the competition.

Peter

turnaround360
01-06-14, 10:51
Very well done to you both those two entries were the ones i picked to choose from .

brody2123
01-06-14, 11:04
Good on ya Peter, it is a bloody lovely set mate! :bravo::thumbs:

Big thanks for everyone who voted and more so, all that took part. And of course, hat's off to the Boss for making this forum what it is! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Neil Lawton
01-06-14, 11:30
Congratulations guys!
Well deserved for some fantastic work!:bravo:

How did you know which was mine Peter?
Was it the crap photo's that gave it away?:funny:

yorkshireman
01-06-14, 11:51
Well done Peter, I'm pleased to say that was my choice.

retreatjohn
01-06-14, 11:54
For once I backed the winner, well done!!

Woody
01-06-14, 12:04
Very well done Peter enjoy your smock my friend and Brody both worthy winners boy that was one good compo ay Brody I will send your African Blackwood log of when I come back next week I hope you have fun with it and I'm sure you will produce something spectacular I will need you to PM me your address mate

cookie21
01-06-14, 13:33
Well deserved guys

paulm
01-06-14, 14:32
Well you both have made a fantastic set and very worthy winners.... although all the other entrants were absolutely superb as well and congratulation to all that made things for this competition.

Buckeye
01-06-14, 14:45
Congratulations guys!
Well deserved for some fantastic work!:bravo:

How did you know which was mine Peter?
Was it the crap photo's that gave it away?:funny:

Well in a way, the photos weren't crap but they were very dark and I had to tweak them to see the detail, the exif headers showed the Artist was neil.

I loved the blade, how did you get the texture, was it wire brushed or some dremel kind of tool? There were other dark photos as well when tweaked showed detail that couldn't be seen otherwise.

Peter

Neil Lawton
01-06-14, 15:14
Thanks Peter.
I will try and remember to get the camera lights out next time!
The blade was rough sawn, planed to shape with a little bullnose, that Walter had kindly restored for me.
It was then textured with a small ball end cutter in the Dremel. Re sanded to clean up the edges, then buffed with Vonax.
All a bit last minute really.
Funnily enough, the pen kit was one of the ones you sent me!
Regards,
Neil

Buckeye
01-06-14, 15:29
Thanks Peter.
I will try and remember to get the camera lights out next time!
The blade was rough sawn, planed to shape with a little bullnose, that Walter had kindly restored for me.
It was then textured with a small ball end cutter in the Dremel. Re sanded to clean up the edges, then buffed with Vonax.
All a bit last minute really.
Funnily enough, the pen kit was one of the ones you sent me!
Regards,
Neil

You didn't need lights, although a little bounced light into the front would have helped, you just needed to do the levels. PaulM posted about an app that can do it, but I can't remember the name. I will post the pics after I did the levels to see the detail.

The set is superb and the blade is exquisite. That's why I wished it was me that had made it:thumbs:

Peter

Grump
01-06-14, 15:45
Photopad.
Actually I have been so surprised with the entries I would have sworn that you had done this one Peter, as I know that was in your head from the bandsaw blades you saw of mine.
I put the steampunk book thing down to Brody and the lego pen to Frankie. Just goes to show how one shouldn't jump to conclusions init?

donwatson
01-06-14, 15:48
Well done Guys. :bravo:

take care
Don W
PS I loved the Lego, will keep this idea in mind if I may :wink:

Buckeye
01-06-14, 15:51
Photopad.
Actually I have been so surprised with the entries I would have sworn that you had done this one Peter, as I know that was in your head from the bandsaw blades you saw of mine.
I put the steampunk book thing down to Brody and the lego pen to Frankie. Just goes to show how one shouldn't jump to conclusions init?

I really wanted to do a letter opener after seeing your blades and I started making one with oak as the main body with pine cone veneers either side, that went on hold and I cut a blade out of copper and was trying to make it steampunk, but there wasn't enough meat on the blade to make a decent display. I will get round to making one, this year I hope.

Peter

Buckeye
01-06-14, 15:57
Jim, You didn't put the names of each contestant on the entries, can you still do it?

Peter

Neil Lawton
01-06-14, 16:00
I'll happily send you a piece of Ebony, if you want to try a wooden blade Peter?

Woody
01-06-14, 16:05
I to love the letter opener Neil so I will be doing one as well probably in African blackwood

Lons
01-06-14, 16:10
Well done guys you both richly deserve it.
Some stunning entries but I have to say I'm gutted! :sob: As of last Sunday morning, I would have won by default:funny::funny::funny: Not a chance after the rest of you entered.

Bob

Neil Lawton
01-06-14, 16:12
Which was yours Bob?:thinks:

Lons
01-06-14, 16:17
Which was yours Bob?:thinks:

I'm ashamed to say cos I've had so little time it was a real rush to do anything, anyway it was the gavel and when Jim said I was the only entry, I dug out the bullet pen and rushed off the paperclip stand to boost the entries. I could have done a lot better with both tbh but what do they say about the "taking part not the result"?:whistling:

brody2123
01-06-14, 16:26
I'm ashamed to say cos I've had so little time it was a real rush to do anything, anyway it was the gavel and when Jim said I was the only entry, I dug out the bullet pen and rushed off the paperclip stand to boost the entries. I could have done a lot better with both tbh but what do they say about the "taking part not the result"?:whistling:

I voted for the gavel Bob. Thought it was really well made. :thumbs:

Grump
01-06-14, 16:35
Mine was just a 10 minute hash up because Jim said he was short of entries.
I have to say I did love the gavel I think it absolutely stunning.

I made a gavel pen many moons ago, for an auctioneer friend who always bangs his pen against his clipboard.
I have often seen him on flogit and various programs but never seen him use that pen, I go to his auction and there he is with the pen I made him.
Keep forgetting to say to him show it on telly init?

Woody
01-06-14, 16:43
I normaly never enter compos but seeing as the numbers were so low I dug some out just to boost the numbers they were laying around the pencil and opener were never a set but they marched so set one the others were the first set that I ever made for Violet all in the draw and haven't seen daylight for years

Lons
01-06-14, 16:49
Thanks guys. Comments of whatever nature are always welcomed but I think some of you guys are just too damned nice (grump included:wink:)

I was determined to enter this time as I missed the last competition and I felt that as a member of this great forum it's almost a privilage and duty to contribute and make Jim feel that all his efforts are worthwhile. The number and quality of the entries must show him that it is and some of those are what I now aspire to. There are some great ideas in there. Some people either think a long way out of the box or are just plain wacky:whistling:. Long may it continue!

I moved my son into his "new" home this weekend so my 5 months of hard labour are almost over and I can look forward to a normal working life and some workshop time again:banana::banana:

Bob

Buckeye
01-06-14, 17:33
I'll happily send you a piece of Ebony, if you want to try a wooden blade Peter?

I would love a piece Neil, but only if it isn't your last piece or thereabouts.

I have a Crown Cryo hollowing tool that I have used 3 times and didn't get on with, that I was going to ask Jim if I could auction off here for anyone not going to your do in August (or anyone who is) and the winning bid would be sent direct to you and I would post it to the winning bidder. I need to ask Jim, so if you read this Jim, please let me know if it is okay and I will take a picture of it otherwise I will send it to you, but I thought it might be nice for those who can't make it in August, like me.

Peter

bluntchisel
01-06-14, 17:38
Congrats, guys - nice pieces!

Bob.

L200arg
01-06-14, 18:00
Congratulations peter and brody
I loved the Lego pen my son is really big on Lego so I had to vote for that

Jim
01-06-14, 18:06
Bob, you were the winner cometh the 11th hour my friend .. Then we had an influx of entries that actually made me very busy lol .. :bwink:

There were some great entries in this competition the top 3 with the votes as 7, 6, and 5 ... :thumbs:

Peter, regarding the names of the other entries i would feel more comfortable for them to add their names to the images should they wish to .. I am also now aware that i need to remove details from images sent in for the comps lol, never even gave this a thought until you mentioned that you knew that Neil was the owner of the said image ... :ciggrin:

I need to ask Jim, so if you read this Jim, please let me know if it is okay

No problems with me Peter, please do go ahead .. :thumbs:

A big thanks to Woody, for the Blackwood log, and to everyone who made this comp what it was ... :bwink:

Cheers,

Jim

Just to add that if everyone is happy with me putting the names to the entries this can be done .. :bwink:

Buckeye
01-06-14, 18:18
Bob, you were the winner cometh the 11th hour my friend .. Then we had an influx of entries that actually made me very busy lol .. :bwink:

There were some great entries in this competition the top 3 with the votes as 7, 6, and 5 ... :thumbs:

Peter, regarding the names of the other entries i would feel more comfortable for them to add their names to the images should they wish to .. I am also now aware that i need to remove details from images sent in for the comps lol, never even gave this a thought until you mentioned that you knew that Neil was the owner of the said image ... :ciggrin:

No problems with me Peter, please do go ahead .. :thumbs:

A big thanks to Woody, for the Blackwood log, and to everyone who made this comp what it was ... :bwink:

Cheers,

Jim

It's just that the last comp the names were added at the end, there isn't an entry there that I wouldn't have been pleased with if I had made it, there are some that I wished I had made:love_it:

Yes thanks to Woody for the Blackwood log, if Brian hadn't sent me some I would have asked Brody if he wanted to swap:banana:

I also knew a couple of the other entries, if you don't want to wipe the exif data you could ask for Gif instead of jpegs, that doesn't store the data, not that I am aware of. There is probably an applet you could download to convert the images and it would only take seconds per image.

Thanks Jim, I will photograph the Crown tool and put it up.

Peter

turnaround360
01-06-14, 18:28
Yes it was a great result for the winners they did well my one was the wellingtonia pen and phone holder.

brody2123
01-06-14, 18:36
I am the steampunk. Not that that's a shock I spose :funny:

brody2123
01-06-14, 18:39
Congratulations peter and brody
I loved the Lego pen my son is really big on Lego so I had to vote for that

Thanks Richard, same here. But I had to buy the Lego for this as there was not enough of my boy's Lego available to use, ( looking at two big boxes of the stuff) :funny::funny:

Neil Lawton
01-06-14, 18:41
I would love a piece Neil, but only if it isn't your last piece or thereabouts.

I have a Crown Cryo hollowing tool that I have used 3 times and didn't get on with, that I was going to ask Jim if I could auction off here for anyone not going to your do in August (or anyone who is) and the winning bid would be sent direct to you and I would post it to the winning bidder. I need to ask Jim, so if you read this Jim, please let me know if it is okay and I will take a picture of it otherwise I will send it to you, but I thought it might be nice for those who can't make it in August, like me.

Peter

I'll put a piece in the post for you Peter, I have a few pieces kicking about!
The offer of the tool is most appreciated!
I've had an overwhelming response to the fundraiser from members of this forum and others, and feel quite humbled by it.
I haven't had chance to talk to Jim or woody, or the other contributors about this, but here is an idea.
Some of the stuff being offered is way above a raffle prize. The whole point being raising money for the school.
I'm stretching myself a little thin on the day, so was thinking along the lines of just having an auction.
If every one is happy with the idea, I could put up a thread with donations (as Woody suggested) then invite commission bids from people who cannot attend on the day?
You should be basking in the glory of your win Peter! So I'll start another thread elsewhere.
Regards,
Neil

L200arg
01-06-14, 18:57
If I was making one I would have to buy my own too
He would kill me if I touched his :funny:

Thanks Richard, same here. But I had to buy the Lego for this as there was not enough of my boy's Lego available to use, ( looking at two big boxes of the stuff) :funny::funny:

Goulss
01-06-14, 19:15
Many many congratulations to both winners well done, wonderful pens:thumbs:

chas_41_uk
01-06-14, 19:17
Congrats Peter and Brody :thumbs:
There were some excellent entries in the competition:love_it:

Buckeye
01-06-14, 19:55

Was that the book and pen as well as the lego pen?

Peter

Buckeye
01-06-14, 19:59
I'll put a piece in the post for you Peter, I have a few pieces kicking about!
The offer of the tool is most appreciated!
I've had an overwhelming response to the fundraiser from members of this forum and others, and feel quite humbled by it.
I haven't had chance to talk to Jim or woody, or the other contributors about this, but here is an idea.
Some of the stuff being offered is way above a raffle prize. The whole point being raising money for the school.
I'm stretching myself a little thin on the day, so was thinking along the lines of just having an auction.
If every one is happy with the idea, I could put up a thread with donations (as Woody suggested) then invite commission bids from people who cannot attend on the day?
You should be basking in the glory of your win Peter! So I'll start another thread elsewhere.
Regards,
Neil

That's fine with me Neil, I will get a photo done tonight or tomorrow and PM it to you.

Thanks for the ebony, much appreciated, I will get some Streamline Centre bands in the post to you.

Peter

brody2123
01-06-14, 20:02
Was that the book and pen as well as the lego pen?

Peter

It was indeed mate. Had wanted an excuse to go a bit mad:funny: cut it a bit fine though getting them done as during May, I worked every day but two Sundays
. Got a week off next week, so a bit of me time is very much needed:wink:

Buckeye
01-06-14, 20:48
It was indeed mate. Had wanted an excuse to go a bit mad:funny: cut it a bit fine though getting them done as during May, I worked every day but two Sundays
. Got a week off next week, so a bit of me time is very much needed:wink:

When I saw the Book and Pen, I thought that was the winner, then I saw Neils and I thought that's the winner I was convinced the Book and Neils opener were first and 2nd, but no idea of the order. I love the book and pen and think you should put it into some kind of art show.

I only got time the last day of the competition and almost gave up several times. I had decided on Carbon Fibre and so I put some on the tubes, then I found I didn't have any resin so I put loads of CA on and measured, nowhere near. So put another layer of CF on the tubes and agaIn loads of CA, measured again, nowhere near, another layer of CF and yet more CA, finally I was getting there. With the letter opener I put wood on the tube and turned it to just below size, sprayed it black and put the CF on and loads of CA then as with the pen, wet sanded with MM to get to size. I used over 40g of CA by the time it was finished.

Peter

brody2123
01-06-14, 21:20
When I saw the Book and Pen, I thought that was the winner, then I saw Neils and I thought that's the winner I was convinced the Book and Neils opener were first and 2nd, but no idea of the order. I love the book and pen and think you should put it into some kind of art show.

I only got time the last day of the competition and almost gave up several times. I had decided on Carbon Fibre and so I put some on the tubes, then I found I didn't have any resin so I put loads of CA on and measured, nowhere near. So put another layer of CF on the tubes and agaIn loads of CA, measured again, nowhere near, another layer of CF and yet more CA, finally I was getting there. With the letter opener I put wood on the tube and turned it to just below size, sprayed it black and put the CF on and loads of CA then as with the pen, wet sanded with MM to get to size. I used over 40g of CA by the time it was finished.

Peter

Cheers Peter. Wish I knew any galleries for the book mate:funny:
with regards to the process you went through to complete your set, the hard work and ca was well worth Iit mate:wink:

Grump
01-06-14, 21:54
Once again it was a great compo with some brilliantly diverse entries, well done all init?
Mine was the other phone holder with metal kitless pen.
Fed up with picking up pens that don't work cos they are there for refill and having untidy charging leads for the phone I knocked up a quick desk tidy from scrap in shed.
Knowing there were no entries I took a pic and chucked it in.
You would think not working would give me plenty shed time but sadly that ain't the case.

turnaround360
01-06-14, 22:51
Brody I liked the book it made me think about the Adams family really
Creative well done Frankie.

edlea
02-06-14, 09:13

That was my choice Brody ...I'm a steampunk fanatic.

brody2123
02-06-14, 09:33
That was my choice Brody ...I'm a steampunk fanatic.

Cheers Ed! :thumbs: been chomping at the bit to do some steampunk stuff. Got some more in the pipeline too:wink:

rowdyyates115
02-06-14, 11:56
Well Done, Brilliant comp.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

billyb_imp
02-06-14, 18:52
Two great efforts, well done :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

And some other very notable entries too :banana::banana::banana:

Buckeye
16-06-14, 11:22
Here is the result for May's competition, which in the end had a very good turn out, to which i would like to thatnk everyone for putting in the effort .. :thumbs:

The winning pen set is Entry Number 3 Made by Buckeye (Peter)

http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/comps/5.jpg

The runner up was Entry Number 10 Made by Brody

http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/comps/4.jpg

Well done guys, and a big thanks to everyone who took the vote .. :thumbs:

I received the Woodturning Smock from Timberbits today, I will wear it with great pride. Thank you Jim for running the competition, what's this months? A massive thank you to David at Timberbits for sponsoring www.penturners.co.uk.

Peter

Grump
16-06-14, 11:27
Good luck mate enjoy it init?