• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First sucessful attempt at none wood. An Acrylic on a slimline in chrome

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I decided to get myself some carbide chisels as I have been really struggling sharpening traditional ones and that caused my first attempt at none wood to explode and have bits of corian everywhere,and a tiny corian light pull was all I could salvage from it .
so I managed to turn this today using my new tools and I'm really happy with the results so I'm keeping it for me!! finished with micro mesh and tcut cos that's all I had

acrylic pen.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Well you have mastered acrylic, it looks really well finished:banana::thumbs:

Peter

mattyts

Registered
Nice one Roy, What tools where you struggling to sharpen? Skews and scrapers (all I used for the first part of my turning) can be sharpened with a tiny oil stone

Jim

Grand Master
I like it Roy, welcome to the world of plastics, it sure does make nice pens .. :wink:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I bought and have been using a 3/4 inch roughing gouge and was getting on fine with it but had a bit of a slip on the grinder and couldn't seem to get it back right so decided rather than spending more on more conventional chisels I would buy a little set of carbide tips and I love them,bit fiddley at first but they cut like a knife through butter and I believe I can use them to turn bowls so no need to buy a bowl gouge?am I cheating?:tongue:
Nice one Roy, What tools where you struggling to sharpen? Skews and scrapers (all I used for the first part of my turning) can be sharpened with a tiny oil stone

mattyts

Registered
I bought and have been using a 3/4 inch roughing gouge and was getting on fine with it but had a bit of a slip on the grinder and couldn't seem to get it back right so decided rather than spending more on more conventional chisels I would buy a little set of carbide tips and I love them,bit fiddley at first but they cut like a knife through butter and I believe I can use them to turn bowls so no need to buy a bowl gouge?am I cheating?:tongue:

Yeah they are very good,eventually they will need sharpening but all you do is lay them face down on a piece of sandpaper and rub back and forth,should be no problems with bowls.

To sharpen a roughing gouge,I use a jig that holds the butt of the chisel,set the angle by moving the jig forwards or backwards (using sharpie on the tool and moving the stone by hand to see where your removing metal,if its on the front of the edge,your increasing the angle,if its further back,you're decreasing it.

Start the grinder up,present the tool then just rock side to side.

65593-438x.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely pen that takes you to the other side Roy... Come back soon :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).