• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How i Make my Centre Bands

Jim

Grand Master
Ok here is the way that i do my centre bands for all my Slimline pens.

First i drill a blank that i am going to use for my centre bands, this blank is Blackwood. I then use my pen mill to square off the blank before cutting it.

Center_band_1.jpg

I use my Mitre Saw to cut the centre bands, i just find it quick and easy.

Center_band_2.jpg

Turn the pen to round on the lathe and use a parting tool to cut the end of the pen blank.

Center_band_3.jpg

Glue the centre band onto the turned pen blank and use the pen mill to also square off this end.

Center_band_4.jpg

When the centre band has cured onto the pen blank return it back to the lathe.

Center_band_5.jpg

Once you have shaped and sanded the blank it is now time to put on your finish.

Center_band_6.jpg

For this pen i used a Friction Polish and wax finish.

Center_band_7.jpg

A close up of the centre band.

Center_band_8.jpg

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Very helpful Jim :thumbs:
I have only attempted a centre band once. Now I know how to do it properly I'll make more :bwink:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Wow Jim, thank you so much fir going to the trouble of doing this. It's actually more simple than I imagined it would be. In the photo of the finished pen it looks like the centre band overlaps the lower barrel so I had visions of using longer tubes, I dont know, but it's so effective

cookie21

First Name
Barry
Jim thats a neat way to do it,I've always used longer tubes, prefer your way sticking to the standard kit, Thanks for the time you put in to the site

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks Jim I'll try that.

One question: After cutting one on your mitre saw do you then square the end again before cutting the nixt bit?

Bob

mattyts

Registered
I have some corian which Jim gave me and since cutting a slab of it into slimline size blanks,left with 100's of offcuts (10 x 10 x 30mm) which I'm going to cut up tommorow and have a go with :pray:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Jim I'll try that.

One question: After cutting one on your mitre saw do you then square the end again before cutting the nixt bit?

Bob

That is correct Bob, you don't have to but i do find it much easier doing it this way rather than doing it after i have cut it .. :bwink:

Added a PDF to the tutorials BTW ..

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Making some slimlines I got from Dan@TaylorsMirfield will try it instead of normal centre bands, seem to have plenty of offcuts, knew they would come in handy can't understand why my wife thinks I'm a hoarder and won't throw anything away. Don't women have some strange ideas?!!

Robin

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks Jim, often wondered how exactly you got that perfect fit, now I know.

Might actually have a go at that.

Could do with something to restore my faith in things, given the 2 blow outs I had today, one of which was for youngest son who picked the blank himself on Saturday at Axminster :sob:

I'm more gutted than he was, the bloody post failed on a Baron II on assembly :nonono:

amazilia

Lovely Jim, I have talked to you and Paul about failing to visualize what is going on in the middle and now all is revealed ! A clear and simple description and well illustrated. You should get a job at teacher training college about lesson presentation!!
Regards Terry

mattyts

Registered
Tried this today...drilled a blank of oak, cut them at 4mm on the bandsaw,then faced the oak blank using a Transfer punch on my lathe and repeated.

Will post results tommorow :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).