• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dan's Chrome Sedona

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is the Sedona supplied by Dan and it came without tubes, so I had to rob another Sedona Kit for them. The Sedona differs from the Timberbits Sedona as the bottom finial is solid metal and does not have a posting thread for the cap, which is not a problem to me as I don't post my cap when I write. The supplied ink piston does touch the internal thread of the lower barrel when taking the barrel off or putting it on, it does pass the thread, but only just and it does rub. I don't know if the other Sedonas do that.

It's a nice kit and makes up a nice pen, I am a bit worried about the ink piston, but it is also supplied with two ink cartridges.

Peter

Sedona.jpg

Attachments

• Sedona2.jpg
    Sedona2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 72

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A good write up Peter, lovely pen, pretty pics well displayed init?
Have you taken a liking to these carbon fibre blanks?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A good description Peter. I'm a fan of the Sedona and have bought them in the past from Penkitsuk, Funeturnz and most recently TB who are less than 1/2 the price of buying them here. I've not had any experience of the refill rubbing but they are different kits.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A good write up Peter, lovely pen, pretty pics well displayed init?
Have you taken a liking to these carbon fibre blanks?

Thanks. I like the carbon fibre, I have made loads of them, I use the carbon fibre as the base for my watch parts pens. I have Red and White sleeve as well although they are not in carbon fibre, but still interesting.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have done a few with the copper Faraday screens from coax cables but I found them too fiddly to get straight.
If they don't placed dead right they show up like thor sum init?
I can't arsed to ponce about these days, to many other things to do that are so much easier.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have done a few with the copper Faraday screens from coax cables but I found them too fiddly to get straight.
If they don't placed dead right they show up like thor sum init?
I can't arsed to ponce about these days, to many other things to do that are so much easier.

I tried one of them and it wasn't very good, if there was a better quality of the copper sleeve it might be okay, but to get it looking uniform and straight, not easy.

Peter

First Name
Dan
A good description Peter. I'm a fan of the Sedona and have bought them in the past from Penkitsuk, Funeturnz and most recently TB who are less than 1/2 the price of buying them here. I've not had any experience of the refill rubbing but they are different kits.

Thank you Buckeye for doing this. Would you buy this pen when wanting to turn another Sedona? I expect 'Taylors Sedona' to Retail at £5.50.

Dan

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you Buckeye for doing this. Would you buy this pen when wanting to turn another Sedona? I expect 'Taylors Sedona' to Retail at £5.50.

Dan

I thought about the slight problem of the ink piston touching the inner thread and whilst it might be a long term problem with the thread and wondered if other Sedonas have the same problem when I realised that the Timberbits Sedona doesn't come with an ink piston. So yes I would buy the pen if someone wanted one that didn't post and didn't want to have an ink piston in it, I can always use the piston on something else. If the manufacturer does them with a thread for posting you may want to get some of those as well as it seems there are plenty of people who do post their caps.

As for the ink piston touching the inner thread I am going to be taking it on and off hundreds of times to see if get a problem with the thread.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

Dan

That certainly is a better price than the other Sedona kits in the UK Dan and if it is as good then I'll be ordering them from you.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I thought about the slight problem of the ink piston touching the inner thread and whilst it might be a long term problem with the thread and wondered if other Sedonas have the same problem when I realised that the Timberbits Sedona doesn't come with an ink piston. So yes I would buy the pen if someone wanted one that didn't post and didn't want to have an ink piston in it, I can always use the piston on something else. If the manufacturer does them with a thread for posting you may want to get some of those as well as it seems there are plenty of people who do post their caps.

As for the ink piston touching the inner thread I am going to be taking it on and off hundreds of times to see if get a problem with the thread.

Peter

Ah, I didnt' know that TB didn't come without the piston which is one of the things I like about he Sedona... but hang on, I've had Sedona's from them in the past and they did come with pistons. I've got and order with them at the moment, I'll let you know for sure.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Ah, I didnt' know that TB didn't come without the piston which is one of the things I like about he Sedona... but hang on, I've had Sedona's from them in the past and they did come with pistons. I've got and order with them at the moment, I'll let you know for sure.

You may be right, I have just looked for the Sedona kit I took the tubes out of to complete Dan's and it was a rollerball so obviously no piston with that, but on their website it doesn't show it with a piston, but that could be an oversight whereas the Baron 11 does show it with a piston.

I will be interested to see if your do come with one and could you try the piston through the internal thread to see if it touches?

Peter

First Name
Dan
Afternoon All,
I have just had confirmation that they can supply the Sedona sampled by Buckeye with a posting thread. They are available in Rollerball or Fountain Pen 'Chrome & Black Chrome' and Rollerball or Fountain Pen 'Gold and Black Chrome'.

Retailing at £5 for Rollerball, £5.50 for Fountain Or £10 per pair.

If the interest is there I will be offering 10 pens for £45.

Would this be something people would be interested in?

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking Pen Peter, i love those blanks .. :winking:

For Sedona's i agree that this is definitely a good price Dan .. :thumbs:

Peter is the piston that you talk about, the pump converter as advertised on T/B .. :thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Great looking Pen Peter, i love those blanks .. :winking:

For Sedona's i agree that this is definitely a good price Dan .. :thumbs:

Peter is the piston that you talk about, the pump converter as advertised on T/B .. :thinks:

Yes, I couldn't think of what it is called, but yes, that's what it is.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Afternoon All,
I have just had confirmation that they can supply the Sedona sampled by Buckeye with a posting thread. They are available in Rollerball or Fountain Pen 'Chrome & Black Chrome' and Rollerball or Fountain Pen 'Gold and Black Chrome'.

Retailing at £5 for Rollerball, £5.50 for Fountain Or £10 per pair.

If the interest is there I will be offering 10 pens for £45.

Would this be something people would be interested in?

I would have no problem with the rollerball although I would prefer the fountain pen, but am worried about the pump convertor.

Do people use both colours equally or is there a preference?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I now buy more chrome than 24k gold as everyone seems to think the plating is not great, so I am just trying to prevent problems in the future. The black chrome sounds interesting and if it is a more robust plating than 24k gold then I would buy that as well.

Peter

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That Sedona kit looks nicer than the Fun-e-Turnz Sedona kits I bought. I would buy the kit for £5.50 (But don't go spending my money yet, Dan - I don't make many kit pens!)

:thumbs:

Oh - lovely pen, Peter! That CF is the dog's danglies ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).