• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

DIY dust extraction

Matt

Registered
Made these two at the weekend and thought I'd post in case it helps anyone out. I got the idea after seeing Woody's dedicated extractor behind his lathe. Having looked online, others have done something similar so I adapted for my needs (being way too cheap to buy one :wink:)
It's nothing special, basically just a wooden box with a fan at one end, with three filters in between. Really easy to make (although I forgot to take pics whist I was putting it together :whistling:) you just need to make sure everything is sealed to maintain suction.

View attachment 7215

View attachment 7216

View attachment 7217

I already had the wood and the fans I got cheap off eBay so all in, including the filters, they cost me just £14 for the pair.

To say I was sceptical is an understatement but after trying them today they work really well :banana: The fans have three speeds but even on slow they seem to do the business, after they've been used you can see the dust trapped on the prefilter.

The larger one will be suspended from the ceiling and left on a timer after I'm done. The smaller unit I made to fit directly behind the lathe to capture the dust at source when I'm sanding. It won't mean an end wearing a dust mask but it will certainly help keeping the air clear.

cookie21

First Name
Barry
This type of filter is good to hang from the ceiling to pick up suspended dust, but the extractor behind the lathe really needs to be something along the lines of a Camvac

Matt

Registered
Works good for me, got it nice and close to the piece I'm sanding and drags in the dust well

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).