• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which glue is best

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
This is primarily directed at Jim as I know you turn corian but anyone else's thoughts will be appreciated. I was wondering which glue you think best when putting corian pens together? I've been using thick ca and I've used titebond polyurethane. I've been told that corian isn't porous and with the brass tubes obviously not porous either ca glue isn't best, but it is quick. I'll be glad your thoughts.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Choice:
Polyurethane, CA or Epoxy.
CA is not good as you rightly state neither the tube nor corian is porous and there is, for what it is, little adhesion between corian and tube, but it does still provide sufficient bonding, but it is not a "gap filler". Polyurethane does the job but is messy, and can eject or move the tube but is a gap filler. Epoxy is a better gap filler than CA but not as good as polyurethane but is relatively "clean" and not messy .

My vote always goes for epoxy, and the Zap 5 minute. There is a slight chemical difference between the 5 minute and the 30 minute in that the cured resin is only touch cured in the stated time but it is capable of being sanded very shortly after the cure time. However, the 30 minute tends to clog the paper, 5 minute doesnt as much.

Zap 5 every time.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Neil, another purchase to make now.... I'm never going to retire. :funny:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I have started using play doh to plug the ends of the brass tubes to prevent glue from going inside and the ca seems to adhere to the brass like a limpet when one has gone wrong! It's the problem of long-term bond and whether ca will keep its bond after the pen has been pulled apart a few times.

The shopping NEVER ends, I still find things I need to get.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have started using play doh to plug the ends of the brass tubes to prevent glue from going inside and the ca seems to adhere to the brass like a limpet when one has gone wrong! It's the problem of long-term bond and whether ca will keep its bond after the pen has been pulled apart a few times.

The shopping NEVER ends, I still find things I need to get.

Potato is cheaper! If you glue in bulk Epoxy is quicker. Agree that the ca stuff bonds and will probably do a sufficient job, but it will always bond when you dont want it to and will conspire to catch you out when there is a piece of hidden corian in the hole to hinder the passage of the blank!

Jim

Grand Master
Ray, the only glue that i have ever used when working with Corian is Medium CA .. I have never had any trouble what so ever with it .. Young Matty, introduced me to using 6.9mm drill bits for drilling out the blanks which helps with the gap issue ..

Try gluing two small pieces of Corian together with CA, wait about 5 seconds and then try to separate them ... :devil:

As Neil says, Potato does a fine job of blocking off the tubes .. :thumbs: King Edwards especially .. :devil:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Thanks Jim and everyone for your advice, as ever it's a slightly devicive issue . I'm glad you don't have any problems with ca Jim as it's a much quicker way to bond and means I can get on with the job.

I'd 've interested in trying a 6.9 drill bit. Do you know where I can get them?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Jim and everyone for your advice, as ever it's a slightly devicive issue . I'm glad you don't have any problems with ca Jim as it's a much quicker way to bond and means I can get on with the job.

If you can try this.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master

You can get them from Axminster Ray, just use the drop down boxes on the right hand side for sizes .. :thumbs:

mattyts

Registered

Drop me your address and I'll send you a DeWalt Cobalt 6.9mm bit,Jim has been using them so he can tell you what they're like.

mattyts

Registered
Ray, the only glue that i have ever used when working with Corian is Medium CA .. I have never had any trouble what so ever with it .. Young Matty, introduced me to using 6.9mm drill bits for drilling out the blanks which helps with the gap issue ..

Try gluing two small pieces of Corian together with CA, wait about 5 seconds and then try to separate them ... :devil:

As Neil says, Potato does a fine job of blocking off the tubes .. :thumbs: King Edwards especially .. :devil:

I've been using frozen chips,the results are a bit hit and miss :rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).