• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Two with Jim's style centre band

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Just had a go at Jim's style of centre band, not sure I've made a great job of them but you can all be the judge of that. These both have a corian band sanded to 600 then McGuire's scratch remover.

u2eqabud.jpg

u9ejyga5.jpg

Apologies for the photo quality, I don't have a light box yet.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice pair of pens Ray. When I make them I just turn the bottom of the top half in slightly so that you don't have a gap between the two parts.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Yes Paul, you're right, I'm not happy with them but I'll try turning the band in a bit. I also have a problem with my mill set. You have to be so careful not to go too far or it leaves some of the brass tube exposed which happened today. I have to sand it down flush again. I'm trying to design a jig to go on the lathe with a disc sander in the head stock to sand the ends rather than use the mill.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Fair play ray! Both are great first efforts at someone else's style mate. Good advice from Paul on the join too. But all in all, they're both tidy pens:wink: :thumbs:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Not a bad effort Ray and you're learning all the time. You know what they say, 'practice makes you better'.

Jim

Grand Master
Damn good effort Ray, my only advice would be to square off the ends once you have turned the pen to shape and before adding your finish .. I will post a picture later tonight on how i do it if it helps .. :winking:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Good effort :thumbs:
I can see a lot of Jim styles pens on here in the near future :funny:

Yes it seemed to strike a chord with several of us. I was surprised I'd asked a question that several others were also thinking :eek:

I have to say that, while it was fairly easy, there are a few things that are crucial to get right or it looks naf.

The material that has to be removed to make way for the c/b it is crucial to make sure that you get the parting tool at right angles to the barrel or possibly undercut ever so slightly or the c/b won't sit right when you put it on. I had to put them back on the mandrel to get this right.

it's pretty crucial to get the shape right where the two barrels will join , something I didn't do very well I don't think. But it's all a learning curve and I bet Jim's been doing these for a while :o

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Another thing to think about is the length. With a cb the pen is longer than just the 2 tubes. Sometimes I also make the top blank or the bottom blank, depending on how I feel longer so that its the correct length

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).