• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi there

Timmy Johnson

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tim
Hi people,

Just aquired a small lathe from my late uncle along with a few tools to turn with, he used to make pens on the lathe and now that has given me the same interest.

I am looking for a list of what to aquire so that i can go to the workshop and actually make a pen from start to finish. Just to add i have never worked with wood before so complete newbie here. I have been looking around the site for a few days now and like what i have seen now i feel i need to take part.

Tim

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Tim,

Welcome to the forum, we hope that you find help, humour and enjoyment amongst the waffle within these epages. Its a bit difficult to list exactly what you will need as the list is likely to be both daunting and wrong! I guess the first step is to declare exactly where you are in the country and someone might be just around the corner who could give you a hand. Alternatively the less reliable way would be to post a copy of what you have. You may find that one or two members here will have the same set up and be able to give you specific advice rather than generic pointers.

If your uncle used to make pens, its a fair bet that you wont need much but without knowing what you've got its a bit of a stab in the dark.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Tim.

As Neil said, where in the country are you and what've you got already. Photos are good to show us

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Welcome Tim, don't worry you have come to the right place, this asylum has the best inmates you could ever find and they are pretty good at what they do as well, just give what info you can about your stuff that you have and I'm sure you will get more than enough help, I have not been here too long myself but i can assure you it's the best forum you could ever hope for, join in and have some fun!:itscool:
Regards
Ted...

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Hi Timmy and welcome to the nut house. Pull up a couch and relax. The psychotherapist will be along shortly :wink:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Welcome to the forum Tim, you have come to the right place, I am fairly new myself, I only started turning in March, but with the help of the good folk here, things are going well :winking::winking:

Ask away, the answers will come :thinks::thinks:

Show us your work as you go along :rolling::rolling:

There will be constructive criticism but also loads of encouragement :banana::banana:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Tim and welcome to the asylum. Kawakers gave you a link but there's loads of stuff online such as youtube to look at that will give you plenty of pointers

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).