• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Funeturnz vs TB Sedona

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've just taken delivery of the Sedona's from Timber Bits and thought I'd share the difference between the ones I already had vs these from Timberbits.

1. The Nib end on the TB one has a series of flats whereas the other is a smooth round. On opening the package I didn't like the flats but its growing on me by the minute.
2. The cap on the Nib part from TB is angled at the sides and so is more domed. I'm indifferent on this but on a made up pen might make a difference.
3. The thread on the TB pen is much finer which seems to give a smoother connection
4.The nibs are the both on both kits and German made with an iridium tip
5.The bands have a different design on both kits. Although they are both nice, I have a slight preference for the TB one.
6. Both pens are supplied with a filled and a refillable cartridge. The one one TB has a gold band but both run smoothly into the body of the pen.

Attachments

• tb1.jpg
    tb1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 64
  • tb2.jpg
    tb2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 63
  • tb3.jpg
    tb3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 63
  • tb4.jpg
    tb4.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 63
  • tb5.jpg
    tb5.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 63

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Like the look of the tb one better

Sent while looking like I am doing something important

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Interesting comparison Paul :thumbs:
I can see people liking both for different reasons :nooidea:
I'd like to see both finished pens next to each other before giving an opinion :thinks:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Interesting comparison Paul :thumbs:
I can see people liking both for different reasons :nooidea:
I'd like to see both finished pens next to each other before giving an opinion :thinks:

Consider it done Chaz

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Good to see a comparison and would be interested in hearing quality comparison when completed init?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Unless there was a significant quality difference, I would much rather pay my money to Timberbits. I do like the faceted nib section, just like the Baron 2.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Unless there was a significant quality difference, I would much rather pay my money to Timberbits. I do like the faceted nib section, just like the Baron 2.

Peter

Damm, wish I could have thought using the word facted. I new I should have paid attention at school :funny::funny:

I'm happy to buy from a UK company but the price has got to get better first. The price is over £10 here and its $8.50aus if you buy 10 from TB which is less than half price.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Damm, wish I could have thought using the word facted. I new I should have paid attention at school :funny::funny:

I'm happy to buy from a UK company but the price has got to get better first. The price is over £10 here and its $8.50aus if you buy 10 from TB which is less than half price.

Even if the price was the same, I would still rather buy from Timberbits, his service is excellent and he sponsored the forum's competition, he should be rewarded for his efforts. We can see by Dan's efforts that prices could be lower so the likes of funeturnz won't get my money:nonono:

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
One point regarding nibs Paul please be careful if you are promoting that the nib is German ...If it states MADE in Germany then that should be OK ,if is says on the nib GERMANY then this will undoubtedly be made in China. A manufacturer can put any countries name that they like on their products providing they don't state that it is made in that country:thumbs:.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Even if the price was the same, I would still rather buy from Timberbits, his service is excellent and he sponsored the forum's competition, he should be rewarded for his efforts. We can see by Dan's efforts that prices could be lower so the likes of funeturnz won't get my money:nonono:

Peter

Good point Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
One point regarding nibs Paul please be careful if you are promoting that the nib is German ...If it states MADE in Germany then that should be OK ,if is says on the nib GERMANY then this will undoubtedly be made in China. A manufacturer can put any countries name that they like on their products providing they don't state that it is made in that country:thumbs:.

Ummm, I didn't know that Ed. What a good scam, they had me.

Which reminds me....

one in 5 people in the world are Chinese. I come from a family of 5 so started to look at them. I'ts not my mum Diane, or my dad Norman, its oviously not me so it could be my older brother Chong Lee but I think its Alan. :funny:

The oldies are the best eh?

I'll get my coat.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I was told that where it says Iridium Point Germany it is just the iridium that the Chinese buy from Germany. I was also told that they don't use Iridium anymore, but something from the same family.

Peter

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I was told that where it says Iridium Point Germany it is just the iridium that the Chinese buy from Germany. I was also told that they don't use Iridium anymore, but something from the same family.

Peter

Just looked this up!

Iridium–osmium alloys were used to tip fountain pen nibs. The first major use of iridium was in 1834 in nibs mounted on gold.[4] Since 1944, the famous Parker 51 fountain pen was fitted with a nib tipped by a ruthenium and iridium alloy (with 3.8% iridium). The tip material in modern fountain pens is still conventionally called "iridium", although there is seldom any iridium in it; other metals such as tungsten have taken its place

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Just looked this up!

Iridium–osmium alloys were used to tip fountain pen nibs. The first major use of iridium was in 1834 in nibs mounted on gold.[4] Since 1944, the famous Parker 51 fountain pen was fitted with a nib tipped by a ruthenium and iridium alloy (with 3.8% iridium). The tip material in modern fountain pens is still conventionally called "iridium", although there is seldom any iridium in it; other metals such as tungsten have taken its place

Thanks Neil, its still Iridium to my customers though :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
It is good to compare what is on the market Paul, so thanks for writing this up .. :thumbs: But i am also of the same belief as Peter .. :thumbs:

Didn't realise there was so much different between the two, does anyone know where the other kit came from? :thinks:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A wild guess!
Funeturnz comes to mind.:funny:

I'm not sure, it might have been fun e turnz or penkits uk or another.

Am I missing something here, have we got a downer on Fun e turnz? I appreciate that TB is sponsoring the site and they do give a good service but there are others that supply kits too, especially when starting out its good to buy them in ones or twos.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I'm not sure, it might have been fun e turnz or penkits uk or another.

Am I missing something here, have we got a downer on Fun e turnz? I appreciate that TB is sponsoring the site and they do give a good service but there are others that supply kits too, especially when starting out its good to buy them in ones or twos.

I've not bought from any of them Paul, so have no quibble with any of them.
It's just you titled your thread Funeturnz Vs TB.
Never heard of them before now:nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
Come on give me a break, who supplies funnyturnz with her kits? No downer on anyone Paul, she may well do a good service to those who need a few kits, but for me buying in bulk it is much cheaper to get them from TB ... :bwink:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
It's Timberbits for me every time. The guy deserves our support - his customer service is second to none, and his Tawain stuff is really good value!!!

Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.