• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sierra in corian I think

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
A new Sierra today but I'm not convinced this is corian as it didn't cut like other corian I have done. It was a much thicker blank than normal 12mm and it blunted my tools in seconds so I was glad when it was finished.
9e8yme3y.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Looks good to me Ray sometimes the darker colours are a bit harder bring it with you on Mon mate

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Corian is made in 12mm thick slabs as you well know and in a range o six blans colours in 24mm thick. This thicker material is used maily for infill for partitioning as it helps the composite finish achieve a one hour fire protection rating, so it is unlikely to be corian and definitely not corian unless it is a laminated blank. The corian look alike is a product called LG himax which I think this is, Brian should be able to confirm.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
That confirms my thoughts Neil, I wasn't convinced it was corian. I have , by the way, a whole sink/drainer in the himax material in a cream colour if anyone is interested in some of it. I'll never use it all. I got it for nothing so if anyone is interested let me know. It would need to be collected due to the weight. I'll take a photo if anyone wants it

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Cheers Brody, what I haven't said is that this has been modified from the first time I made this. I made it a bit fatter in the middle as as a result the pen was top heavy. So took it apart and slimmed it down and now it's much better to hold

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).