• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Separate or starter kit

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Ok guys n gals I have now narrowed lathe down to a couple now. (Both 2mt)
I am now looking at my pen making equipment.. Do I get one of these starter kits I keep seeing on the different sites that have the mandrel, bushes, first few pen kits etc.. or am I best to piece it out buying it individually? If so what should I have on my list?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Jim

Grand Master
Hard to say really Baldy, it is down to what you think is best, certainly there are cheaper ways than buying the kits. I bought all mine separately when i first started and found it a much cheaper way to start ..

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I bought a kit to start with because I didn't know what I needed. The kit contained a mandrel, some bushes for 7mm and some tapered ones for, well I still haven't worked that out, a 6.8,6.9 and 7mm drill, some slimline kits, and the instructions in a green case. This kit I see is now £65.82 from Planet or £55.99 on ebay.

The slimline pen kits cost about £10,
A top of the range mandrel with bushes from Axminster is £34.94 or a similar one from Pencrafts UK is £15.00
a 7mm drill which is all you need for these pens is about £3.00

So you can get the same as in the kits for about £28.

Given the circumstances that I didn't have a clue how to make a pen when I started, buying a kit was the right thing to do but nowadays I would buy the individual items.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I would buy separate I bought a set and no point buy the axminster collet mandrel, mandrel saver, one of dans barrel trimmers and some slimline pen kits with bushings from Dan

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Thanks for the info.. I Will keep an eye on eBay thanks Jim. Will have a look at shopping lists and do it this way if the eBay link nit work out..

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If you are commited to making pens then I would say one of the best things you should put on your list is a set of transfer punches, they can help you dismantle almost any kit as well as help in numerous other ways.

Don't buy a barrel trimmer, I have two that I no longer use, they are almost a waste of time, look on the forum for sanding blanks and you will see a much better system, basically sandpaper stuck (I use double-sided tape) to a face plate or similar and the correct size transfer punch in a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock, put your tubed blank on the punch and offer it up to the sandpaper while the lathe is spinning.

Peter

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I'd say a starter kit is convenient, but not the most economical. Seperates all the way, you will get better quality and longevity.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).