• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Native Pear

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I had to stay and work in south wales this weekend so I nipped to the Timberman in Carmarthen. A small woodworking dealer he also has a selection of wood for sale which isn't large but very reasonably priced. I did very well considering the wife wasn't with me and only spent £90. One item I did pick was a small piece of native pear which is new to me. Nothing like our pear its reddish brown and not tight grained at all. I was thinking of using it for pens but having looked at it again I think it will be too open grained to get a good finish. Anybody used it.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I've found pear can be sensitive to build up of heat with cracks forming if it gets too hot Keith, don't know if this is general to pear or that I just got some dodgy wood.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I turned a piece a few years ago if I can find the pen in my collection I will post a photo for you tomorrow I don't remember having any problems with it and if my memory serves me well it is nothing like out pear and it is darker its also known as woody pear
Woody pear is generally a small tree growing to 5 to 8 m tall, with a short bole that can occasionally reach 30 cm in diameter. Individuals in open spaces can develop a broad canopy of spreading limbs. Trees often have an untidy form, bark is fibrous and flaky. The elliptical or oblong foliage is bright green and has serrate margins. The large woody fruit is pear-shape, hence the common name. Woody pear mostly occurs on sandy soils between the Darling Scarp and the ocean coast. Other populations are found on sandy gravels in the Jarrah / Marri forest east of the scarp's western edge. Although it has a wide distribution, it is a minor species in any of its habitats, large populations are rarely found.

Wood description
Heartwood is a dark reddish colour with a decorative figure. Sapwood is a contrasting pale cream colour. Timber treated with wax can produce a silk finish.

Jim

Grand Master
Funnily enough Keith, i was only looking at a couple of pieces of this wood yesterday that someone had given me, with the word Pear written on them. Both a reddish brown colour, thou none had open grain ... :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry its late I just remembered to look for it according to the date its 16 years old
DSCF0170.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).