• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trying a Decal

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Well i bought my first Decal Paper off ebay, as i will be attempting to add one to a pen i will be making shortly. Not done one before so i doubt that the 1st attempt will come out to plan. :rolling:

The Decal Paper i bought is this one.

View attachment 37

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Not good mate, the paper was the wrong type to start with (to thick) thou i did try a few, for some reason i couldn't get the transfer on to the wood? :down:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I tried to get hold of that brand TWB, but not in the UK only from the USA. I have since had a few more attempts with this and all to no avail. I can get the decal onto the paper but its from here i then have my problems. :devil:

I find it difficult to separate the decal from the backing paper, and when i do my fingers have smudged the ink. Up to now i have only been able to get a part of my decal onto a pen barrel. :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Take a look at this site Alan, it has a very good tutorial on how to add a decal to a pen, and with pictures. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Decal Tutorial

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thats a nice link Jim, i have added this to my favourites, you can tell its not the 1st time that he has done this, he makes it look so easy. :goesred:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Hi Tony, I haven't done this on pens yet but building plastic models is another hobby of mine and I've done it there. The crucial step is applying the sealer coat over the printed decal. Vital, particularly if you're printing on an inkjet which has water-soluble ink. If you start smudging the decal either you've got duff paper which doesn't float the decal off the backing easily enough, or you're not doing the sealer coat properly. Don't worry, it does get easier!

David

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hi Tony, I haven't done this on pens yet but building plastic models is another hobby of mine and I've done it there. The crucial step is applying the sealer coat over the printed decal. Vital, particularly if you're printing on an inkjet which has water-soluble ink. If you start smudging the decal either you've got duff paper which doesn't float the decal off the backing easily enough, or you're not doing the sealer coat properly. Don't worry, it does get easier!

David

Thanks Dave, you may have got it here mate, i got the spray from a mate of mine who said that it would do the trick, i never gave this a thought until you just mentioned this. :rolling:

trapper

Registered
I've done a few decal pens..... thats transfers in english........the main problem I have encountered is caused by the contours if any in the turned pen body sometimes some careful cuts with a scalpel might be needed to get the transfer to sit right. I've only used Lazertrans paper but Ihave found this to be quite stable in colour retention etc

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks for all the replys guys, i will take all this on board when trying this project again. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).