• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sad day / reflective day

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
A dear long time friend died recently and very quickly after being diagnosed with esophagus cancer. Before he died he had promised me some of his vast stock of timber. he was a general woodworker but his real passions were painting and woodcarving and he was blessed with amazing tallent.

I collected that timber today and am very lucky to have been gifted some amazing pieces with lots more to come and have promised that I will sort out his extensive workshop and tools which I consider the least I can do for my friends as his wife just doesn't know where to start. Some of his items I will buy as well .
I had already undertaken to repair one of his carvings which was damaged by an exhibitor. I just hope that I can do it justice as it is of huge emotional importance to the family.

I have done some but still have to carve a replacement finger and sort out a mount (already part done).

What do you guys think of this work - amazing or what?
Carving is lime and stands approx 450mm high without base

Bob

Attachments

• Callipso 1.jpg
    Callipso 1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 55
  • Callipso 2.jpg
    Callipso 2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 55
  • Callipso 3.jpg
    Callipso 3.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Callipso 4.jpg
    Callipso 4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Callipso 5.jpg
    Callipso 5.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Sorry to hear about your friend's death, but his work is stunning, that really is amazing.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its always sad when a friend or relative passes away but you have some treasures that you will be able to create things from in his memory. Judging on this carving he was an incredible artist and sculpture, that is a fantastic piece of work and I for one can't see any mend in the finger.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry Bob good friends can never be replaced I'm sure you will do his creation proud

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I for one can't see any mend in the finger.

It's there Paul in the index finger which is why I highlighted it but scarecley visible so I'm very pleased with it - so far. There is a finger still missing on her left hand which I haven't attempted yet and will probably be a while before I can get to it.
He also made the arm rings which obviously cover the joins as the arms need to be carved seperately.

Bob

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I still can't see it Bob so you have done a fantastic Job. It is a very special piece indeed and he was obviously a very multi-talented person.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
No words can make you feel better about what you have to do.
Just do it in the best style you can, you will never forget but keep the fond memories.

As for the statue I have no words for that either.
tumblr_luu2d94ZYR1qhansmo1_400.gif

naxie

Registered
That's a beautiful carving Bob, a wonderfully talented man. Thankfully it looks like he left behind lots of amazing treasures to remember him by.

She has nice boobs too. :bwink:

Helping to sort out someones tools for those left behind is a great final favour to do for someone aswell. Uncle Vic and I did the same for a fellow turner last year. The family were willing to take £500 from a "I'll take the lot to do you a favour" bloke. Twelve weeks of sorting, tidying and selling we handed over just a touch over £5000. Just shows some people are really willing to take the p×÷s in other peoples times of need. :nonono:

Jim

Grand Master
Really sorry to hear about your friend Bob, he certainly has left a legacy behind for sure .. It is hard to believe that this is made from wood ... :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Sorry to hear about your friend, and a great offer to help those left behind.

He was a very talented man looking at his carving

cookie21

First Name
Barry
Sorry to hear about about your loss Bob, I know how it feels, I lost one of my best friends to cancer just last christmas eve, your friend has certainly left some lovely work for friends & family to share in the future

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bob, I ticked the I Like section on your post what I liked was your best effort in restoration and your kindest of intentions to help your mates family been in this position many times now and it is so hard to be objective when you see friends taken advantage of. Regrets on your loss of a friend mate they are very special and most important in our lives they give structure and dimension to everything we do. Some times friends bust up with their spouses leaving us in limbo trying not to take sides especially if we care for both. Giving it your best shot mate:claps: with restored finger etc is value beyond price reflecting your intentions and craftsmanship.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).