• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A question for scrollers?

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have a question for scrollers, in a weak moment years ago I bought a scroll saw which has spent most of its live hiding under a bench.

Has anyone got a couple EASY pattern they could let me have?

What sort of wood should I use?

Thickness?

Any other info I should need to know?

Thanks,
Mark freezing in the NT.

cowboy

Registered
Hi Mark
not knowing which saw you have l cannot give you much info but l would be thinking it as only one speed, blade tension should be a major factor to start off with, you will need some blades any will do for now you will brake some, if it as been stood for a few years give it a good clean and lubricate all moving parts if you can bolt it down that would help with the vibration and properly stop it dancing out your work place.
a good place to start ff with for patterns is Steve Goods site there is plenty of video`s there to help you get started plus there are tutorials on cutting wood and also there is a pages of free plans under Free Pattern Catalog

Scrollsaw Workshop

as for wood any scrape piece will do no more then 1/2 to start with, draw a straight line on a piece ply wood and try and cut it you will fined that it will want to veere off left or right don't panic that is normal you have to turn your ply to compensate so that you cut it straight

l could go on about this all day the most important thing to remember is not to force the blade a gentle pressure is all you need take your time speed will get better as you go along,
In the scroll forum l post a video on using a saw and also a test pattern, try this and see how you get on if you need any more advice let me know there are no daft question in scrolling.

1 last thing is practice practice practice

hope this helps you out

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Thanks for your answer, I will take a photo and post later, it is 16", variable speed.
It has been cover so not too dusty, but the bellows have perished, it is a generic brand you may recognize and be able point me in the right direction for spares.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
There are a number of people that badge this under their own name the biggest problem is finding some one in you neck of the wood who sells them or having one sent from here in England.

How about Carba-tec

Record power, Machine mart, and Axminster tools all do this machine. But these are here in England

The blade clamps you have will take pinned and pinless blades so you should be able to do a pattern with some fine detail after some practice. For your first Pattern choose something simple to get the feel of the cutting action and the machine.

Take your time and enjoy it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).