• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What can I cast in?

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

Here's another dumb ass question, I can get a never ending supply of cheap, water cooler clear plastic cups, trying to buy paper cups in this area is harder, much harder unless I want to pay over the odds for a logo'ed cup which I don't. So can I use my free clear plastic water cooler cups for casting?

Cheers
Kevin

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Be careful and do a test in them with a small amount of resin and hardener as lots of plastics soon melt with the stuff!:down:

Jim

Grand Master
Be very careful with plastic and resin Kevin, do a test run first .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If you look on the bottom of the cup you should see a rating number inside a triangle 1 and 5 is fine with PR I think 6 is as well, but not 100% sure. I get plastic cups from Poundland and although they are not all the same rating I pick out the 1s and 5s, paper cups should be okay.

Peter

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Yes you can thats what i use and have a cup with some mixed in and its been in it for over a week and its ok But do test it first Frankie.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hi All

Here's another dumb ass question, I can get a never ending supply of cheap, water cooler clear plastic cups, trying to buy paper cups in this area is harder, much harder unless I want to pay over the odds for a logo'ed cup which I don't. So can I use my free clear plastic water cooler cups for casting?

Cheers
Kevin

No questions are dumb Kevin, if you don't ask you will never find out anything!:thumbs:

kjmc1957

Registered
hi All

I just checked as Peter suggested and I have the lucky number 5, Il'll give it a go tomorrow night after I've picked up a cheap set of electronic scales.

Regards

Kevin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
hi All

I just checked as Peter suggested and I have the lucky number 5, Il'll give it a go tomorrow night after I've picked up a cheap set of electronic scales.

Regards

Kevin

If you would like to sell 100 I will buy:thumbs:

Peter

kjmc1957

Registered
HI Don

Sorry about the delays, on the casting kit I bought it states that it's a 10:1 ratio, I figured or at least saw it on YouTube that weighing the two part out is easier 1ml = 1gram.

Do you think I'm making it harder than it should be, I do do that!

Regards

Kevin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
HI Don

Sorry about the delays, on the casting kit I bought it states that it's a 10:1 ratio, I figured or at least saw it on YouTube that weighing the two part out is easier 1ml = 1gram.

Do you think I'm making it harder than it should be, I do do that!

Regards

Kevin

Which kit did you buy Kevin?

Peter

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I dunno :nooidea:
I am looking at casting some pens myself and have studied what Walter wrote in his book.
I quite fancied casting a Sierra in clear resin with a map around the barrel of a local beauty spot to start with, where it will lead to is anybodys guess.
I have been following these recent debates quite closely and like what I heard from Peter and yourself.
As well as Maragon I have had a look at East Coast Resin.

Don W

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Peter Don
I got the East Coast resin kit as a starter, and I got the Metallic Perfect Mica from 'lovedraftslovecrafts' off e-bay.
I have Sunday morning set aside to make the first batch, I'll show them when they are ready,
Regards
Kevin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter Don
I got the East Coast resin kit as a starter, and I got the Metallic Perfect Mica from 'lovedraftslovecrafts' off e-bay.
I have Sunday morning set aside to make the first batch, I'll show them when they are ready,
Regards
Kevin

I haven't seen the kit, but you said it was 10 to 1, I would check that, if it is PE resin the usual is 1% to 3% I only use 1% or less but 10 to 1 is 10% and you will have problems if you use that much MEKP. You may not be using PE resin, but the PU resin is usually 50/50.

I look forward to see your results:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I dunno :nooidea:
I am looking at casting some pens myself and have studied what Walter wrote in his book.
I quite fancied casting a Sierra in clear resin with a map around the barrel of a local beauty spot to start with, where it will lead to is anybodys guess.
I have been following these recent debates quite closely and like what I heard from Peter and yourself.
As well as Maragon I have had a look at East Coast Resin.

Don W

I usually buy my resin from Fibreglass, Glass Fibre, Gelcoat, GRP, Polyester Epoxy Resin - CFS Fibreglass Supplies but I have just bought some from Casting Plaster, Plaster-of-Paris, Moulding in Modroc, Alginate, Latex, Silicone, Craft Materials & Kits, Water- & Weather-Resistant Plasters, ... and if you look at the various place for pigments and such maragon is about 1/2 the price so I have just got red, yellow, blue, green and white from them as almost any colour is mixable with those.

Have a go Don, even if you only get 250g of resin, it will give you an idea of how easy it is, you will need to make a mould of some sort.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have just found my notes on mixing cups 1 and 5 are okay 6 is definitely not okay.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).