• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

You want to earn a living doing this???

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I was at a show this weekend, one of the 55 that I am booked to attend this year, mostly two day events, several three day and two one days. This one was local to me, and one of the reasons I enjoy doing what I do. No sales reports, no boss, mo M25, no tie, no suit, no parking meters, no traffic wardens, no congestion charge, speeding fines, toll roads, rush hours, traffic jams, expensive sandwich shops, London, Finchley Road at 6.30 on a Monday morning.High blood pressure. No rushing home on a Friday night dreading Monday morning.

This, 8am on Sunday morning, the English countryside. Me, poor, but very very happy. This is the event showground that I attended on Saturday and Sunday.

Jim

Grand Master
I see that they have protected the tree from a chain saw Neil .. :whistling: Good luck with the shows my friend, i wish you all the best and hope that you have good sales .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Neil but I'm not sure I could make a living at it like you do, I prefer it as a hobby. I do like going to shows though a few times now and again when the pen box starts to bulge. Nowadays I tend to do the shows with my son touting on a stall alongside me for his falconry business which certainly drags the people close to my pens.

When I'm old enough to retire, I might consider doing a few more shows, but probably just to come and see you and shout rude comments at you whist indulging in a nice pint or two. :funny:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Very nice Neil but I'm not sure I could make a living at it like you do, I prefer it as a hobby. I do like going to shows though a few times now and again when the pen box starts to bulge. Nowadays I tend to do the shows with my son touting on a stall alongside me for his falconry business which certainly drags the people close to my pens.

When I'm old enough to retire, I might consider doing a few more shows, but probably just to come and see you and shout rude comments at you whist indulging in a nice pint or two. :funny:

Paul,

Youd be most welcome at Bowood in September with the birds, you have free space to promote your sons business but you can leave your bloody pens at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Organisers expecting your call!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Very happy for you Neil and glad there are purple patches in between the tough stuff trust you with Paul et al enjoy the pen Falconry experiences. Looking forward to some pictures to enjoy nover here.

Kind regards all Peter.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Paul,

Youd be most welcome at Bowood in September with the birds, you have free space to promote your sons business but you can leave your bloody pens at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Organisers expecting your call!

Thanks Neil, That would be great. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
The joys of self employment, work when you want where you want, good luck to you Neil :thumbs:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
It's a lovely idea. But can it really pay if your not getting an income from another source?
I reckon I would need to be clearing at least £1750 - £2000 a month profit just to cover living expenses. It would have to be more if I lived down south.

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
It's a lovely idea. But can it really pay if your not getting an income from another source?
I reckon I would need to be clearing at least £1750 - £2000 a month profit just to cover living expenses. It would have to be more if I lived down south.
if I thought I could earn half of that every month doing something I like I would pack my job in in a moment ........I'm so jealous

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

You're not going to get rich doing it, ask the wife! It does pay at the moment but the year so far has proved to be very tough. Many people I have come to know on the "circuit" (hate that word) have gone out of business this year, or rather folded. Lifestyle adjustment is necessary, a willingness to work seven days a week, fourteen hour days and a holiday is a distant memory - no different to any other self employed people I know, but it beats the corporate corridor every time - and look at the added bonus, you miss the football because you have to work!!!!!!!

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Very nice setting for this show. I can certainly understand your reluctance not to re-join the daly grind of constant travel, sales reports, meetings etc.

Good luck and hope it can go on & on & on & on........... :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Neil, I don't envy you one bit. If I had to make the number of pens you have to then it would cease to be a pleasure. Good luck to you mate.
Are you at the cheshire game fair show this year?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You're not going to get rich doing it, ask the wife! It does pay at the moment but the year so far has proved to be very tough. Many people I have come to know on the "circuit" (hate that word) have gone out of business this year, or rather folded. Lifestyle adjustment is necessary, a willingness to work seven days a week, fourteen hour days and a holiday is a distant memory - no different to any other self employed people I know, but it beats the corporate corridor every time - and look at the added bonus, you miss the football because you have to work!!!!!!!

I remember in 1991 when I came back to the UK and I started working for myself that it was a revelation and vowed never again to work for anyone other than myself. Working until 3 or 4am trying to get prints packed ready for delivery the next morning was a pleasure at the time, 7 days a week in the hiatus. January to March were my fishing months as there was so little work in those months, thank God, the rest of the year was manic. Fortunately I have been able to cull the crap clients and now I am in my so called golden years I am looking to have 1 or 2 clients at the most that I will produce for, but they are on notice:thumbs::thumbs:

It is hard work being self-employed, but there are benefits, although they escape me at the moment:funny:

Peter

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil, I don't envy you one bit. If I had to make the number of pens you have to then it would cease to be a pleasure. Good luck to you mate.
Are you at the cheshire game fair show this year?

Yes, I'm there. One of the best shows of the year and included in the show is the English Open Chainsaw Carving Championships, twenty six machine wielding nutters from as far afield as Japan and the States. Should be a good show, Not to be confused with the Cheshire County Show though! I'm there August Bank holiday.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Yes, I'm there. One of the best shows of the year and included in the show is the English Open Chainsaw Carving Championships, twenty six machine wielding nutters from as far afield as Japan and the States. Should be a good show, Not to be confused with the Cheshire County Show though! I'm there August Bank holiday.

See you there then. I'd best check the dates.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I couldn't agree with you more, Neil. Five years ago I went from IT exec swanning around the globe living out of a suitcase to being the local window cleaner (well, one of the many!) Never regretted it for a minute, even though my health has deteriorated somewhat over the last couple of years. Yes I have (a lot) less money but I get to have breakfast (and regularly lunch) with my wife and kids, I put my son to bed at night (best half-hour of my day, every day) and I don't bring work home.

Wild horses wouldn't drag me back into the corporate world. All the best to you mate!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).