• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cheap Trick ...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
... for adding metal veneers to segmented blanks. I can't claim the credit for this, mikespenturningz on IAP gave me the idea. Let the pics tell the story:

Start with an empty can (I prefer beer cans 'cos they smell better!):
photo 1-2.jpg

Cut off top and bottom on a bandsaw:
photo 2-2.jpg

Snip up one side with a pair of aviation tin snips (£2 at Toolstation):
photo 3-2.jpg

Spread out flat and sand thoroughly front and back (try not to crease it like I did and don't be too vigorous or you'll go right through):
photo 1a-1.jpg

And make up some lovely balnks with some subtle bling!
photo 3a-1.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
You know you can't post up pictures here David to tease us, we need to see the final turned pen ... :devil:

Thanks for sharing this with us, i have used tin before but only in very small amounts ... :thinks:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I've used Stella beer cans all the blanks ended up in the bin well i needed lots of blanks that day:funny:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hey mate, can you show a picture of the clamps that you are using in the last piccy please? :thinks:

Also what sizes are the wood you used to glue together and did you cut them on the band saw? thanks. :bwink:

trapper

Registered
Hi David when you do your glue up alternate the clamps if your using screw ups gives abetter compression on the glued seams dont know why but it does

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Hey mate, can you show a picture of the clamps that you are using in the last piccy please? :thinks:

I'll take a pic next time I'm in the workshop, Tony, but they're just simple spring-clamps. Visualise large metal clothes-pegs and you've pretty much got it.

Also what sizes are the wood you used to glue together and did you cut them on the band saw? thanks. :bwink:

I was aiming for a 19mm square blank, with the dark strip 8mm wide (all strips 19mm deep). After fluffing up and some faffing, the two flanking strips ended up about 5 mm wide each, with the can metal and glue accounting for about a millimetre. All cut on the bandsaw except for squaring off the ends of the blank on the Radial Arm.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Hi David when you do your glue up alternate the clamps if your using screw ups gives abetter compression on the glued seams dont know why but it does

Good tip, Steve. Those are just spring clamps. I went through a stage where I clamped the heck out of glue-ups, which squashed all of the glue out and weakened the joint. :down: Now I've probably gone to the other extreme, I don't compress the joint much at all.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Well, I had partial success with that blank. I blew out the cap blank, but here's the finished barrel blank:

photo 3-3.jpg

I tried scalloping on the one end, would anyone like a tutorial on that?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Please jimjam, all tutorial will save, maybe i dont get them right straight away the write up will always be there for me to go back on. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).