• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Would it be possible ?

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
I know little about this casting business, would it be possible to cast some lead air gun pellets into an acrylic casting? Kind of like the coffee bean ones I have seen.

And if it is possible would someone be kind enough to do it for me if I supplied the pellets and paid for materials and time?

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
I don't know that much either but i would think it's a bit difficult or time consuming to get the pellets to keep suspended in the resin,:rolling: unless its done in quite a few small pours and letting each one Gel!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Two issues there, you would need to vacuum it to get the resin into the head of the pellet otherwise it would be full of air, and secondly that lead is so soft that it might not turn??? Woody?? Anyone tried lead?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Not tried lead the nearest to it that I have turned is pewter and that is easy to turn

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I cast pellets into resin and it wasn't pretty, it turned like a pig and you could hardly recognise the pellets, my wife didn't know what it was.

At the time I did think about slicing the pellets in half lengthways and gluing them to a tube then casting in clear acrylic, but I couldn't be bothered to go ahead with it.

Peter

Matt

Registered
Don't talk to me about the coffee bean blanks, it's the only part of the Axminster catalogue my other half is interested in :whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).