• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Metal inlay/segmenting

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I've seen the posts recently on segmenting with metal inlay and I have just tried to doc it on a spare blank which split in two. I would very much appreciate it if someone with the know how and experience of this process could do a tutorial on how to do it successfully. What thickness of metal to use, how best to glue it, how to make the cuts in the blank, how deep to cut or cut right through, fairly detailed would be great for a numpty like me :rolleyes: :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Ray we all do it different this is how I do it how deep you cut is a matter of choice and if you have metal of the correct thickness to only cut part of the way I would suggest for cuts part of the way through make a small cut and see how wide it is and buy metal to fit or you can cut right through and the thinner you can go with the metal the better some use empty coke cans or as a suggestion .50mm or less brass, copper, ally sheet you dont want to go to thick otherwise the heat build up when drilling will break the glue joint good luck and happy turning mate

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
I would use epoxy if i was doing it with metal myself, but whatever you use as Woody says its being careful with the heat problem otherwise it will fail! let us know how you get on mate!:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That would be fine Ray if you dampen the wood as water help's polyurathain glue to cure I use med CA only because I have it at hand just go slow and gentle on your drilling when you hit the metal because your hitting it at an angle and the drill bit will want to slide along the metal and break the joint

Jim

Grand Master
Don't forget to score the tin Ray, i have only used CA when using metals for segmenting .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).