• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Got a van load of wood.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I posted in another thread that my long term woodcarver friend had passed away. Well for the last 2 days I've been sorting out his garage for the family (and I'm knackered).
Have sorted and moved 2 van loads of "stuff" and rubbish but one of those loads was timber for me as they insisted I take all of the hardwood.
There is some woodworm so I need to treat it but all dry, much purchased a great cost many years ago and all sorts of sizes from long planks to burrs, blocks and rounds, with everything in between. Boxwood, lime, oak, sycamore, elm, walnut, fruitwoods and some I haven't identified. No pics yet as will take me a while to sort but will post in due course.

I also inherited some tools and have bought / part ex my dewalt bandsaw for his old startrite 352.

Although very sad at the death of my close friend I know he would be pleased I could help his wife and delighted for me to make things with his precious timber stock. So who's a lucky boy then? :banana:

My van btw is a long wheelbase VW Transporter so sizeable haul!

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Every cloud has a silver lining Bob and I'm pleased for you.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I was going to say Your a jammy git but I'm sure you would rather have your friend around but in your sorrow you can find some joy and I'm sure it will all go to a good use and you will enjoy using it with your friends blessing well done Bob

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Dunno what to say mate except enjoy the feel of everything you do and have happy memories while you do it.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's much better that you can put it to good use rather than being thrown out or given to strangers.

Peter

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I am sure your friend will be looking down, happy to know that his gear from over the years will be made good use of, by a good mate :thinks::thinks::thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Yep mixed feelings but the wood is fantastic, at least for carving though some rather nice burrs in amongst it. Also got a couple of lig vi bowling balls:love_it:

I got a phone call tonight as my friends son had been round and was amazed at the transformation though he still has a mountain of tools to sort and sell so no doubt I'll be called on for advice.
I've always admired his carving chisels and the main ones I couldn't afford or justify but my (and his) favourites are a set of 12 Pfeil palm gouges and they wanted to gift them to me:nonono: I'm goning to have them though for the sum of £90 which is a fair price.

The Startrite bandsaw is a good buy as well and a monster that'll cut all I'll ever need so I've come out of it rather well and feel a bit guilty TBH.

As an aside, I've just unwittingly broken the law. Found an old rusty 22 rifle in a corner which she didn't know was there. She remembers him shooting rats and think he had a certificate but that was more than 40 years ago. She's 74 and was scared of it so I wrapped it up intending to take it to a police station today but while sorting boxes tonight came across some live ammo.
I rang the police and there's a firearms car on its way now so hopefully won't arrest me:wink:

Jim

Grand Master
I will bet your friend is smiling Bob, knowing that his stash is going to his mates gaff rather than a strangers .. :thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
2 armed police officers have just been and asked loads of questions (quite rightly) but all seems ok. It helps that i've known the D.I. who lives next door for 15 years and the retired firearms trainer over the road for 12 otherwise they might have carted me away in handcuffs.:whistling:
It wasn't a 22 rifle but a bore they hadn't come across, just under 8mm but among the amo were 410 cartridges, 8mm and .22 all live plus a load of blanks in two sizes. They left me the blanks and the empty shells.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's a good job you didn't have a table leg under your arm when you opened the door:banana:

Peter

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
2 armed police officers have just been and asked loads of questions (quite rightly) but all seems ok. It helps that i've known the D.I. who lives next door for 15 years and the retired firearms trainer over the road for 12 otherwise they might have carted me away in handcuffs.:whistling:
It wasn't a 22 rifle but a bore they hadn't come across, just under 8mm but among the amo were 410 cartridges, 8mm and .22 all live plus a load of blanks in two sizes. They left me the blanks and the empty shells.

You could have cut the old rifle up and made pens out of it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).