• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Segmented blanks gluing & clamping jig....

Robert

First Name
Rob
...for want of a better name.

Just knocked this together, will be gluing tonight

Fingers crossed the work doesn't get stuck to the jig!!

Attachments

• IMG_7763.jpg
    IMG_7763.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 165

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice Jig Rober. How about putting a bit of thin plastic bag between the jig and the wood just in case?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Good thinking. Or I was thinking some greaseproof paper, lightly waxed? No idea if that would work or not?

What glue are you going to use?

When I make this type of thing I use Titebond and the glue leaks out everywhere because I always apply enough :funny:
I use pieces of wood that I allow to stick to it and then saw them off after.

Robert

First Name
Rob
Well, I have at my disposal, wood glue, superglue or 5 minute epoxy resin.

I want to give myself a bit of time positioning the pieces, so that's superglue out.

I was going to opt for wood glue, as even after a couple of minutes I find the 5MER hard to work with. But I'm not sure if that will bond with the barrel well enough? What do you reckon?

I don't have any titebond (not even sure what it is, should I add it to my shopping list?)

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well, I have at my disposal, wood glue, superglue or 5 minute epoxy resin.

I want to give myself a bit of time positioning the pieces, so that's superglue out.

I was going to opt for wood glue, as even after a couple of minutes I find the 5MER hard to work with. But I'm not sure if that will bond with the barrel well enough? What do you reckon?

I don't have any titebond (not even sure what it is, should I add it to my shopping list?)

Titebond is a woodglue. I've never had a problem with it not bonding to the tube. I've also used ca and because of the amount you use, you do have time to work with it but produces a lot of fumes so beware if you use that. I can hear Neil sitting on my shoulder saying to use the epoxy.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I always use Med to thick CA for segmenting it dose give you a lot of extra time to line up

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
For that sort of jig and the woods you're using I would use some cascamite but each to his own init?

Robert

First Name
Rob
I find the paper that contains cereals in the box is good to use to stop glue sticking!

This worked a treat, TOP TIP, thanks :thumbs:

/adds variety pack of cereals on shopping list/

/realises they don't sell cereals at Axminster. Scrubs out and adds to partners shopping list/

Now to turn it. Did I mention I'm getting a lathe today? :banana:

Robert

First Name
Rob
conversation in my house last night:

PARTNER: WTF is that?

ME: It's my new pen clampng jig luv

P: It's a what now?

M: New pen jig, I'm making a segmented pen

P: Looks like a pile of wood to me

M: You have to use your imagination a bit, but it's going to be beautiful, trust me

P: And what's all that white stuff?

M: That's wood glue luv

P: Looks like you've shot your load all over it

M: Look, just go back to watching Coronation Street will you!

Yard Dog

Apprentice Member
First Name
John
conversation in my house last night:

PARTNER: WTF is that?

ME: It's my new pen clampng jig luv

P: It's a what now?

M: New pen jig, I'm making a segmented pen

P: Looks like a pile of wood to me

M: You have to use your imagination a bit, but it's going to be beautiful, trust me

P: And what's all that white stuff?

M: That's wood glue luv

P: Looks like you've shot your load all over it

M: Look, just go back to watching Coronation Street will you!

So every night your down in the man cave the wife has secret thoughts of why you are actually in there. :tongue:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).