• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Double casting?

garrydibley

First Name
Garry
I'm interested in looking at double casting.
I want to make some small wood tips, however they need to be totally sealed as will go in the mouth.
I was thinking to turn the wood 1st then cast a clear resin and turn to shape.
Might sound rather strange.
Also looking at some pens would love to give the circuit boards then cast blanks a go.
Are there any good instructions for this type of casting.

Will prob need to make a mold as the stuff I work on is around 20mm.

Any help would be great.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I'm interested in looking at double casting.
I want to make some small wood tips, however they need to be totally sealed as will go in the mouth.
I was thinking to turn the wood 1st then cast a clear resin and turn to shape.
Might sound rather strange.
Also looking at some pens would love to give the circuit boards then cast blanks a go.
Are there any good instructions for this type of casting.

Will prob need to make a mold as the stuff I work on is around 20mm.

Any help would be great.

First you need to make a former then make a mould, usually you make a mould for each specific pen or tube size. I use vinamold yellow as if you make a mistake with the mould you can just cut it up and melt it down again, as long as you don't burn it you can keep re-melting over and over, there is a limit and I have been told it would be about 100 times, to be honest if it was only 10 times it is still more cost effective that other materials which you can't re-melt. I use a pan half filled with sand and another pan inside that with the vinamold in, I heat it up on a camping stove and the vinmold melts at 150c to 160c if you need more help you need to be specific.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).