• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A Visit To Sue Harker's Booth

Jim

Grand Master
Well last year at the Woodworking & Power Tool Show i bought the video "ALL GLUED UP" by Sue Harker, who gave the audience at the time a really good spiel on open segment turning. :thumbs:

sue_harker.jpg

To be honest i was amazed how she was willing to spend time with her customers and was very willing to answer all questions that were thrown at her. I did watch the video, but having so many projects on the go and real busy at work i have never had the time to give open segment turning a go. Well at this years show i bought the 18 Segment Wheel as i do intend to give this a go. Was unable to get near Sue this year as she had the audience enthralled while she was demonstrating her turning ... Graham, Sue's Husband was available to help with my questions, and just like Sue, he was very helpful and answered each question very professionally.

sue_harker_segment_wheel.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
No not yet Tony, still not confident that i will make a good job of it without more practice ... :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Can see that it won't be long now mate after seeing that mahogany bowl you have just turned. :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Still haven't got around to making any segmented work ... :whistling:

What is annoying about this is i have all the equipment at hand to make a segmented bowl, other than a press, so i just need to give myself a shake and get out there and perform ... :devil:

The Wood Bucket

I have made a bowl with open segments. Not as scary as it seems. :thumbs: The one thing I don't like about the bowl that I did was I didn't use the segment template ( I own both the 18 and 24) and placed them by hand. They didn't come out as even as I had hoped for. Also you don't need a press, You can do it on the table with a heavy weight, or you can do it using the lathe like a press. I built a press, but don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the tip about the press Gary, can you tell me what glue you used for your glue up? :thinks:

I have seen the Maple and Bloodwood bowl you made, i would be pleased if mine came out as good as this one ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).