• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vl150 installation complete

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My layout for my requirements Yesterday I made a thick heavy shorter Pen Rest welded on to a 1 inch stem cause the increased size of the tool rest and my favourite angle rest, gazing during the week at the fine dust removal unit it was a metre above the lathe so I fitted a 10 inch tubing down to the lathe figuring the dust collection needs to be near the source it is designed for duct extraction in line really moves a lot of air. Bought a ten litre indestuctable brickies bucket fitted to give strength above the lathe this taped to a cross arm with aluminium tape the cross arm to the shelves is Ebony.

Beneath the bench is a Thien Filter between the Lathe and an industrial vacuum cleaner it roars (overkill YES) note the Vermec Precision Collet Chuck, the Mandrel Saver from the USA. The VFD
(Variable Frequency Drive) converts AC 240 Volts to enable the new 1.1 KW Motor to be used as an inverted control the variable speed is acheived with the variable pot built into the face. The unit is switched on by the green button speed set when finished press the red off button. I programmed the unit by phone hook up to the dealers Control Techniques in Sydney took 15 mins it is a really full on controller but all I wanted was simply on off speed control. The motor as well is over the top but the controller gives soft start no spike currents and runs about 2 amps more grunt than Jessie the Elephant.

Very careful about belt covering to and from the motor horror stories abound using uncovered belting at speed.

Vermec the brother of Vicmarc sold me their precision Collet holder and fifteen collets when running dead smooth. The mandrel saver is from the US. Adjacent to the lathe is a press mounted at eye height on a separate table with a variable speed controlled small buff a lab stirrer in a previous life 3 inch buff.

I chucked a couple of pieces of ply behind the lathe need to put things back on the shelves this week.

Still more to setting up around the lathe there is another industrial vac alongside the lathe for the large Mill-Drill adjacent.

Kind regards Peter :thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 56

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is now a serious bit of kit Peter, you've done very well there especially as I was expecting a thread to start about Peter being in hospital having electrocuted himself or the lathe being on top of him... or something else. Fortunately however you have remained healthy and now got an excellent setup.... time to start using it. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Pleased to see that you took the time to sort out the extraction before playing on the lathe Peter, many of us wouldn't have the patience for that .. :bwink:

Great little set up you have there my friend .. :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That looks an excellent set up Peter:thumbs::thumbs:

Is you inverter sealed against dust ingress? I only ask as when I installed mine it was recommended that I site it so as to prevent the ingress of dust, which even with the best dust extraction can't be avoided completely in a work shop.

This is mine
image.jpg

Housed in an old switch box I cut Perspex around the inverters front panel & cut slots top & bottom of the box which has filter material attached to to allow ventilation.
My reason for asking about yours is that I would like to convert a pillar drill & if there was an inverter that was sealed against dust it would be easier to install.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug my inverter has a small fan built in of course it needs free air space my experience previously has been very little rubbish gets to where I located the inverter however the VL100 control was in a metal box enclosure, you might remember a brown box white interior with a semi open back I posted a little while ago and those pics were taken after many years of service of that inverter more exposed than the new one immaculate inside the box..My mate professionally uses two large VL lathes and their control units located under the lathe bed get swamped in dust, my bag is pens his huge amounts of sanded dust and his controller has to be literally emptied out.

All of the inverter units I have seen have large heat sinks never have I seen sealed units having said that they can be located on rails in a switch board., I dont anticipate any probs especially with the huge air flow added above the lathe proper. Everything I use is under utilised for safety and never fully loaded current wise. Tong tested the VFD drew less than 2 amps from the 240v side. My VL100 unit was used there for many years I will use it behind this new lathe location behind my back ie.for finishing only so I need simple extraction etc with it. I tend when turning to direct shavings to the right. The only system I have seen pics of in use is a form of box around the turning space I found it restrictive and clausterphobic if you like in use and I dont mind what goes where except I prey on fine dust the real enemy.

After purchasing my latest VFD my mate showed me the ones he buys delivered to him rated at 2hp for 140.00 AU Dollars he uses on 8 different machines in his workshop devoted to metal work.

Of note is they are all (mostly) made in China under English design and supervision.

Just a few of my conclusions mate.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Another thought Doug I will cover this and other lathes when not in use to prevent stray dust encroaching from other machines in my workshop (about time I say) with that curtain material backed with rubbery plastic stuff end rolls wide as 1.50 a metre. Have the stuff waiting to cut it up. Viewing my mates recent open heart surgery tapestry on his chest makes pen turning quite a fit in pleasure for me now not ever a cottage industry.

Peter.:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for the replies Peter, the housing of the inverter was a bit of a pain so it's good to hear your experiences.
As any pillar drill I have will produce more chippings than dust & the fact that it will only be in use for short periods of time I think I'll be safe enough to leave the new inverter un-housed & make a cover to protect it when not in use.

Cheers.

Doug.

:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).