• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Replace Fountain Pen Nib

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Is it possible to replace a fountain pen nib :nooidea:
I was asked last night if it was possible but I don't know.
Can anyone help me with this ?

Don W

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I can remember having to use fountain pens at school and having to change the nibs occasionally :thumbs:
And I'm not even THAT old :face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Don,

yes its easy have alook at this video.

hope this helps

Pete
That has never been my experience when changing nibs, I usually resort to pulling the old one out with pliers.
Once out no further problems other than a ruined nib but that's usually why I am changing it.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks for the information guys. I new this was the place to ask.
@Pete B great video, exactly what I was looking for.
@paulm thanks for the offer. I don't know what I am looking for yet but will get in touch with the lady who asked asap.
@chas_41_uk the elderly lady has damaged the nib on her favourite pen and needs it replaced. She told me she had it replaced already but it was very scratchy just like the pens from her schooldays (and mine) :bwink:
@grump I like your method best :funny::funny:

Don W

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Guys,,
The lady was on the 'phone this evening and she has a Schaeffer ? pen that needs a nib, and a Conway Stewart that is a prized possesion but she reckons the rubber tube inside is perished (or summat) as it won't suck. :thinks:
I have arranged to collect them this week and as she is off to Canada for a coupe of weeks, I will have that time to get them repaired.
I have a mountain of work this week that has turned up so I will have to work on the pens in the evening, or I may wait until next week when I have a bit more time.
Thanks again chaps for all your help.

Don W

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You can get pens repaired/serviced here they sell nibs and other stuff. Never used them myself.

Peter

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Hi Guys,,
The lady was on the 'phone this evening and she has a Schaeffer ? pen that needs a nib, and a Conway Stewart that is a prized possesion but she reckons the rubber tube inside is perished (or summat) as it won't suck. :thinks:
I have arranged to collect them this week and as she is off to Canada for a coupe of weeks, I will have that time to get them repaired.
I have a mountain of work this week that has turned up so I will have to work on the pens in the evening, or I may wait until next week when I have a bit more time.
Thanks again chaps for all your help.

Don W

ed is the man on vintage pens

and pete b is the man for nibs

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks for the help chaps.
@Buckeye, I have taken a note of that address thanks.
@bellringer, The lady dropped the pens off this morning and I have had a look.
I will try and post some pictures.

pen 2a.jpg

pen 3a.jpg

pen 8a.jpg
These are 3 pictures I took of the Schaeffer, I gave the tip a soft rub with 12000MM and she is very happy with the result.
However when I check the 2 little blobs of metal ? at the tip of the nib they have almost disappeared.
What has happened :nooidea: I thought they would have been a bit harder than that, the stuff is like soft solder.
Anyone tell me what I done wrong ?

Don W

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).