• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

vacuum chuck bearing basics

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Ok some have asked how I made the bearing ...First this is for the jet mini 1220 with
The headstock bore made from one complete tube other lathes may be designed different

I used an old hover hose from a dyson but you could use a white waste water bend 20140615_130858.jpg
The caster is the bung for the hose and also the plug for the bearing..
Turn the caster to fit the hose and drill out the bore to 10mm 20140615_160733.jpg
20140615_131102.jpg
Now the bearing itself is glued in to the wooden form that has been turned to just smaller
than the fit of the wheel ID now put a small groove to take the oring this makes the seal tweek to fit
headstock wheel ..drill a hole deeper than the bearing then drill a 15mm
hole through it for air flow now glue the bearing flush this ensures the bearing won't foul on the wood20140615_130509.jpg20140615_161612.jpg
I hope this is clear and helps those interested understand it a bit more cheers Frankie.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Spot on with that post, I can see what you have done now. It looks like a great idea and more importantly it's not that costly.

I will certainly be giving it a try when I have a bit of time.

Once a gain thanks for the post

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).