• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I just finished 4 days at the American Association of Woodturners annual symposium.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
The AAW annual symposium was here in Phoenix this year, so I was able to attend for the first time. There were four rotations of demonstrations each day. I got to see demos on pen segmenting, bowl segmenting, bowl and platter turning, hollow forms, embellishments, crotch turning (No wisecracks, now...He was making the most elegant little turned sculptures from small branch crotches.) Loads of information and lots of goodies at the trade show.

But I'm sure whipped. Next time I'll have to TRAIN for one of these...about five miles a day should do it :tongue:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I've only manage to get to one such event over here but it was well worth it, I came home buzzing with ideas & renewed vigour, glad to hear you had a good time at Phoenix Sharon :thumbs::thumbs:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I'm sure you gained much from your four days hard laboring and came away with lots of ideas, now to put them into action :thinks::thinks::thinks:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Sounds like hard work Sharon! ! Would love to go to one of the big shows on your side of the pond. Bet it's a sensory overload :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
All this lovely chat and not one picture, it never happened????
Glad you had a good if exhausting time.

Jim

Grand Master
Sounds like you had a very exciting time Sharon, would love to see some pictures if you have some .. :winking:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good on yer Sharon sounds like you had a wonderful time and got a shed load of new ideas you will have to put them into practice before you forget them LOL

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I didn't take a camera. (And my cell phone is a little flip phone with a terrible camera.) I really just wanted to concentrate on watching and taking notes. There were some Brits there, and I sat next to a man from New Zealand. (He was about to melt down! It is the middle of winter down there and we hit 110 F while he was here. He and the Alaskan were suffering!) They had BIG TV screens and really good video camera work, so everyone could see exactly what was going on. I actually could see better from a few rows back watching the video than I could from the front row. There were twelve rotations of demos, with fifteen demos going on each rotation! I needed to be triplets! But I managed to get to most of the demos I wanted to see. (Most of them were repeated several times during the show.) I spent a week before the show working and re-working my schedule, but still missed a couple I wanted to see. :sob:

Now I'm going to go out and finish that mesquite bowl that has been giving me so much trouble. I learned what I was doing wrong!

Sharon

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
One of the best things I learned about was negative rake scrapers. I didn't even know they existed. They are much more forgiving than a regular scraper, you use it flat on the rest, not "downhill" or tilted at an angle. I was amazed at how well it cleaned up tearout on a big platter. I bought a new scraper and am going to grind a negative rake on it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).