• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Longworth chuck

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
I made this longworth chuck in under an hour yesterday - self centering with an incredibly strong grip.
You can Google the plans if you would like to make one.

WP_20140601_001.jpg

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Brilliant, how the heck do you cut the slots if you were stupid enough to eBay Dad's router cos you thought "I'll never use that" :sob:

I could do with one of these for sure, especially given the silly price they want for Cole Jaws.

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good TK, and a handy tool indeed .. :thumbs:

Phill, a scroll saw will do it .. :bwink:

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Yes i'm afraid Phil every bit was done with a router! I've never used a scroll saw so i don't know its capabilities but both disc's have to be cut together.

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Yes it is MDF - It's what i had to hand and it's ok for now but i don't like to spin MDF on the lathe. From the plans I read i think he made his from birch ply so i might try that next.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have a spare router I could stick in a box and post off to the first PM I receive and they offer to pay postage.
It's only a cheapy but never used and I think still works well, another Aldi purchase I never needed or wanted but couldn't refuse at the price init?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Mate of mine made an 18 inch Longworth Chuck in fact a number of us did one using perspex in a group session using the one set up router. Longworth was the name of the inventor an Australian ( long ago)

At a home visit Saturday my mate started to demo his 18 inch chuck started up the lathe on 3600 revs by mistake it sounded for all the world like a flying rocket launcher he panicked switched off then applied stupid hand pressure on the hand wheel this caused a jump in motion the chuck unwound he ideot tried to catch it broke his sternum and wrecked his shirt and jumper.

First rule. Never use high speeds and be very aware of using wing nuts at speed.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).