• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

white acylic blank problem

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I bought a White acrylic blank, but after drilling it I can see the tube through it, I'm guessing I will need to paint the tube before glueing it ,but what type of paint should I use?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Paint the inside of the blank with acrylic paint.

Peter

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I've had the same problem and I can't decide what to do. There are so many colours of blank that white or black surely wouldn't look ok every time? I didn't know whether to get the pre painted brass tubes as well

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I've had the same problem and I can't decide what to do. There are so many colours of blank that white or black surely wouldn't look ok every time? I didn't know whether to get the pre painted brass tubes as well

Use the colour that will suit the blank best. If the blank is very transparent the glue can show up if you paint the tubes, but not if you paint the inside of the blank.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Peter . I have been wondering if the model acrylic paints would be fine? That way you only buy a small amount rather than a large tube

Poundland had several large tubes of acrylic paint, I needed black and white so I don't remember about other colours. Use a cotton bud to get the paint into the blank.

Peter

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Reminds me, must get a couple of white blanks for a couple of wedding pens pronto.
Tried corian but it was 2 pieces glued together that didn't hold, well it held until the final fine cuts and then went ping!!!
Tried epoxy to put it back together again but it cracked when I held the 2 halves together.

Tried spirit staining (white) some white elm blanks but just looked a mess.

What alternatives are there ?

mattyts

Registered
Reminds me, must get a couple of white blanks for a couple of wedding pens pronto.
Tried corian but it was 2 pieces glued together that didn't hold, well it held until the final fine cuts and then went ping!!!
Tried epoxy to put it back together again but it cracked when I held the 2 halves together.

White acrylic blanks?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Paint mate paint I did one and still have it with a chip in it now to prove it was wood underneath.
There is a pic on here somewhere.
Edit just found one with a poor pic but there is another with one of them orrible blingy things in white paint too.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Ed posted a few weeks ago about some white acrylic sample he got, I also got some, but I can't remember the name of the company. It can't be hard to find his post though.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Reminds me of one of the first pens I posted a picture of on here. You could see the tube at the ends of the blank.
Luckily I had to do a touch up job on the car and still have plenty of white primer and silver paint left over :winking:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Paint the blank of it's very transparent, if its more opaque rather than transparent you'll probably get away with painting the tubes.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use a white acrylic primer in an aerosol from Halfords and had no problems with it !!!:thumbs:

For one minute I thought you were talking about spraying the blank with paint:funny::funny::funny:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
No I meant the barrel but I know Grumps has painted a wooden blank white !!!!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

I know what you meant, I had seen grumps painted blank and thought you were advocating the same, but only for a second or so.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

I bought a sheet of 22mm white acrylic on ebay. I'll check it out to see what I've got left.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).