• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Microclene Air Filters

Jim

Grand Master
I work in a shed 20 x 10 and contemplating buying a Microclene Air Filter, but these seem very expensive and i would hate paying out over £100 to find that having a window open would do the same thing as one of these would? :rolling:

Microclene_air_filters.jpg

Can someone confirm that hey do actual do a good job? :nooidea:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I can't answer your question Jim., but they must do the job as i see them just about in every catalogue i pick up. Thou it is hard to see that they do actually do a good job as there is nothing to them? :nooidea:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
I know this an old post, but for info I have had mine since 2000 and all I do is take the filter pad out and kick it around the garden a bit and stick it back in, works a treat!

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Can't answer the question. But, a 20 X 10 SHED :thinks: That sounds more like a workshop:winking:
Where I have my lathe etc in is a 8 X 6 wooden structure. Now that is a shed :down:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have only just spotted this thread so here are my thoughts on the subject.

Ambient air filters are useful additions to the workshop if you want to keep the levels of dust to a minimum but they are really just for cleaning up the residual ambient dust and are not effective as a primary means of extraction. You are best off with a vacuum extractor inlet close to the work to remove the majority of the dust and when sanding, preferably wear a suitably rated face mask or respirator as well. Doubtless some of you will think this is over the top but many woods produce toxic dusts or can cause or exacerbate allergic reactions, some are even known carcinogens, so better safe than sorry.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It doesn't matter how much stuff you take out of the atmosphere you get it all, the only way to ensure it don't go in lungs is to stop breathing init?
On the other hand if you take it all in your lungs, same result.
Now that is a win, win situation. Save your money.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have a microclene filter and a primary source of extraction close to the lathe. Invariably I also work with the shed door open.
2 days ago I was turning some Purpleheart and had both extraction systems working and when I was finished there was a layer of purple dust on the Microclene filters.
That speaks volumes for me

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have the 760 and I can see the dust flying round my headstock into it they are air filters not dust extractors but mine works as good as any dust extractor I have ever had if not better the type your looking at people normally have hanging over the lathe even professionals

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The essence of an open window is that wind or draft blows or sucks is not conducive to removal rather redistributes the dust. In all chemistry labs extraction of chemical residue is vital in your workshop close to a 20 foot shipping container size its vital to suck it out through a filter for preference for the families sake as well. Correct me if I am wrong but on how many days of the year are you able to open the window and control the temperatature as well? Immediately above my pen lathe I have a large exhaust fan that removes any fine dust left after the cyclone that is my lathe dust extractor so great is the air movement from that I have to wear hearing protection. This presents problems Safety Glasses noise reduction and mask good recipe in the winter for fogging up. I have yet to get anti fogging mist but since winter is our coming season I will.

Peter.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yes there is Brian but it is the very fine airborne dust that does the most damage. Most of my dust goes into the main extractor.
If you don't feel it is worth it then carry on as you are or as you say stop breathing !!!!:ciggrin:

:thinks:That is the eventual plan for all of us, enjoy what you have while you have it.
I am still not convinced any of them stop you from dying although appreciate you may try.
I am not saying they are no good, and they do have there uses, I have one myself but never switch it on.
A friend started an asbestos removal company some years back which is still going today run now by his son.
He was a pioneer of the removal processes we now use to ensure safe working areas.
A meticulous worker who wanted to make the world a better safer place and would not let any dust be created by this unseen killer.
He would not send an employee to work without all the proper precautions and adequate apparatus.
Died of Mesothelioma.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Yes there is Brian but it is the very fine airborne dust that does the most damage. Most of my dust goes into the main extractor.
If you don't feel it is worth it then carry on as you are or as you say stop breathing !!!!:ciggrin:

Play nicely children :funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Play nicely children :funny:

Just healthy debate init?
I saw a person not mentioning any names, take his dust extractor outside and emptied it into his wheelie bin.
Then proceeded to kick the filter around the garden and giving a good bashing on the bin creating an enormous cloud of dust covering half the neighbourhood (exaggeration to emphasise the point).
Reassembled and replaced it in shed, I covered my face with my snot rag, he did all this with no protection I rest my case, it don't what you do do but do what you don't do init?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Working in our own workshops (unless we employ people) we are not subject to H&S regulations, but the HSE website still provides some sensible advice.

Woodworking health topics – Inhaling wood dust

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg53.pdf

Whether you follow it or not is up to you. I am allergic to some kinds of wood and I prefer my eyes not to look like one of my parents was a chameleon so I wear a respirator a lot of the time and always have the extractor on when I am working. And Brian is right, sensible precautions are needed when you are emptying the extractor as well. (Although I am not sure a snot rag would comply with the COSHH regs).

naxie

Registered
I have an extractor with a gulper running as close to the lathe as I can get it, a microclene hanging over the work and one of the Axminster air cleaner thingies hanging from the ceiling, they are not always all on, but the do help emensly.
Its amazing the amount of stuff they catch and aswell as helping make things a bit safer, they also make the working environment alot more pleasant. You get used to the noise.:wink:

For me, id rather take every precaution I can, especially with Jack and his 7 year old lungs taking an interest in turning.

Luckly the extractor was the only one I had to pay for so I have been quite fortunate, but in hindsight I think at least one of the other two would have taken a top place on my shopping list.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well I wont be creating any dust today I am having a lot of trouble getting my breath today so its sat back with my feet up I wonder if it would have been any better if I had used dust control years ago just a thought but for me its to late now but not you you youngsters beware dust of all sorts is dangerous you wont feel it today only when its to late to do anything about it

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).