• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Computer Questions

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Hi Ya,

Check this out first
Google Chrome Spell Checker can be set as follows:
Select and Click on the Tab -top right side of screen( small icon of 3 lines
Select and click on Settings.
Scroll to Bottom of the screen and click on 'Show advance settings.
Select Languages and Input settings
A box will appear.
Select your Language andit will say on the right if its got spell checking
Then make sure that the box 'Enable Spell Checking' is ticked.
That should get you going..

Two monitors is easier than the spell checking, just right click on the desktop a box will appear Select 'Screen Resolution' the settings are quite easy, just make sure that the box Multiple Display box has 'Extend these display' in it.

All should be OK after these hints... Let me know if thats OK

Rowdy

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
With my setup the two monitors are set so that it appears as one screen so if I move my trackerball to the right of the main monitor it then appears on the left of the second monitor. It can be useful for example with photoshop you can place place the tools on the second monitor and have all the real-estate of the first monitor for the images.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have my big screen above the lappy so move up and down instead of side to side.
Just drag and drop the icons around to set that up.
Go into power saving settings to enable "do nothing" when lappy lid is shut.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I now have my second screen under the desk because I can't be bothered to set it up... maybe I should but then I'm sure they'd expect more work from me.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
That my friend, is all dependant on both the graphics card fitted in your PC and the new monitor you want to attach.
Do you have the Make and Model of both the second new monitor and graphics card, as I may be able to step you through the setup.

If you are not sure, download this program and it will list everything about your PC, send me a screenshot of what the program finds and maybe I can help further...

Download Speccy 1.26.698 - FileHippo.com

Good Luck

Rowdy:thumbs:

mattyts

Registered
What inputs and outputs do you have on your monitors and GPU cards? I have VGA and HDMI,used the HDMI cables since it's what I had to hand.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That my friend, is all dependant on both the graphics card fitted in your PC and the new monitor you want to attach.
Do you have the Make and Model of both the second new monitor and graphics card, as I may be able to step you through the setup.

If you are not sure, download this program and it will list everything about your PC, send me a screenshot of what the program finds and maybe I can help further...

Download Speccy 1.26.698 - FileHippo.com

Good Luck

Rowdy:thumbs:

Sorry to chuck a moody in Rowdy and that little app probably works as well sysinfo or any other that one may download.
You seem to be working on the primise that Mark is using Windoze cos that app don't wanna know my system.
Gob shut again before I bury meself init?

I have had a campaign running for ages for display link to release drivers t the open source.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Be careful Mark, I can't see the pics very well.
That does not look like a standard dvi socket on the graphics card and the angle of the pic the other port could be display port or hdmi.
Better pics of the actual sockets would be good init?
Here is a display port to vga cable
Here is a dvi cable
And this is a HDMI cable
Take note of the plug shape and pinouts then shop around for your best price.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Both monitors have standard vga and dvi sockets.
This is your graphics card.
DSC02945 (2).jpg
The display port has a slant on one side and a hdmi has the slant either side.
I tried to enlarge but still cant quiet see it in the pic.
That is not a standard dvi, more research required, I have seen and used them but never knew a name fro them.
My guess is a hdmi to dvi would give the best image quality as it is digital signal, it also carries sound.
VGA being analogue.

Here are the various pinouts for dvi so you can determine what you have?

DVI-types.gif

Also check out the socket adjacent to the usb sockets that looks like a hdmi, you could plug into that and use hdmi to hdmi or install a third monitor.
A bit of tweaking in settings might be in order but we could talk through that init?

naxie

Registered
Hi Mark, if you want to have two screens with your desktop extended across them, all you will need is a DVI to VGA adapter like this to plug into the white DVI socket in the back of your PC and then a standard VGA cable from that to the VGA (blue one) on your spare screen.

I would have thought you would have already got the cable with your screen?

The DVI socket on your on your screen is the "D" variety which only carries digital, hence a DVI to VGA would not work.

Hth, :winking:

Edit:You could of course use a DVI-D cable or a HDMI to DVI-D, both of which in theory would give you a better image, but I was thinking more of the cheapest solution, everyone likes to save pennies! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).