• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Making silicon pen moulds

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Looking for some tips off you peeps on making silicon moulds, what and where do you get the silicon from and do they last a long time? :thumbs: What do you use to make the outer mould from prior to porring in the silicon. :nooidea:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Ebay for the RTV dont know the life span yet
and the smoother the mold casting material the better result
as not only does it lq make the cast release better it also gives the cast a smooth finish if you use wood sand it as smooth as
you can get it then cover it in cling film this also aids the release
of the mold hope it helps.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Vinamold is great stuff to use. It comes as a solid, you heat it to turn it liquid, pour it and hey presto. No mixing ratios either, and if you have a bad one you can just heat it up and use it again.
Go for the red as it's a bit more rigid than the yellow.

Maragon arts and crafts is the place to go:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Vinamold is great stuff to use. It comes as a solid, you heat it to turn it liquid, pour it and hey presto. No mixing ratios either, and if you have a bad one you can just heat it up and use it again.
Go for the red as it's a bit more rigid than the yellow.

Maragon arts and crafts is the place to go:thumbs:

The yellow is more rigid than the red. Same price, far cheaper than silicon considering that you can re-use it. Casting Plaster, Plaster-of-Paris, Moulding in Modroc, Alginate, Latex, Silicone, Craft Materials & Kits, Water- & Weather-Resistant Plasters, ...

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I don't know how you heat yours, but be careful that you don't use direct hear it can cause a mess (so I believe:devil:) if you are not careful. I use a pan with sand in it now and another pan inside that for the vinamold, I also use a thermometer so I know when it is nearly there.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Looking for some tips off you peeps on making silicon moulds, what and where do you get the silicon from and do they last a long time? :thumbs: What do you use to make the outer mould from prior to porring in the silicon. :nooidea:

I missed your second question I use corian and glue it into position with double-sided tape, that way it is easy to take apart when you want to release your mould. You can see the last one I made here.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).