• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My ring turning jig

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Simple jig I made for turning the outside of my acrylic rings. Bit of mahogany shaped to a taper then cut on the bandsaw so when the tailstock is inserted the cuts splay out and hold the ring for shaping and finishing. I can now turn any standard size ring on one jig.:thumbs:

Attachments

• IMG_20140622_191957.jpg
    IMG_20140622_191957.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20140622_191901.jpg
    IMG_20140622_191901.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 140

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The wheel re-invented, only better:thumbs: Okay not a wheel, but still better in it's simplicity.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The last time I see one of them chucks was ol Bill Jones he made pretty well every thing he used to turn from chucks of all different types and chisels even his own small saw blades well done Mate

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for sharing Brody, i was expecting something big and bulky .. :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Simple jig I made for turning the outside of my acrylic rings. Bit of mahogany shaped to a taper then cut on the bandsaw so when the tailstock is inserted the cuts splay out and hold the ring for shaping and finishing. I can now turn any standard size ring on one jig.:thumbs:

Brody mate you sure went to a deal of bother there the chuck you are using could have a small set of expanding jaws for a nominal price that would fill the bill more accurately for years I note from the photographs that your wooden one is a bit hit and miss at keeping right angles I can guess on a ring it may not be critical. As one of your greatest admirers I did hesitate to speak up there also is a captive pin device you can make for this purpose much along the lines of the devices for rounded end pen blanks that cope with very small inside diameters easily made in steel and highly repeatable in use.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Brody mate you sure went to a deal of bother there the chuck you are using could have a small set of expanding jaws for a nominal price that would fill the bill more accurately for years I note from the photographs that your wooden one is a bit hit and miss at keeping right angles I can guess on a ring it may not be critical. As one of your greatest admirers I did hesitate to speak up there also is a captive pin device you can make for this purpose much along the lines of the devices for rounded end pen blanks that cope with very small inside diameters easily made in steel and highly repeatable in use.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Peter mate I know exactly what you're saying. But I'm an impulsive bugger and ideas just creep up on me. If the rings do ok I'll probably get a proper jig for them. In many ways, this one's like me, not much to look at but it gets the job done :funny::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).