• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A Brody blank

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Brody sent me this blank to try out and to be honest it was one of the easiest acrylic blanks to turn I tried turning one half of it with the roughing gouge and the other half with a carbide chisel and they both cut a treat and left a very good finish I am imprest they are a bit different to turn than rowdys blanks but in the same class all be it one is acrylic the other polyester I for one would buy these blanks if they come on the market
The blank looks as if it is translucent and the tube can be seen but not so it is the blank colouring and it looks a lot better in the hand thank you Brody love it mate
DSCF0260.JPGDSCF0261.JPGDSCF0262.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely blank and turned and finished extremely nicely... The forum at work again. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Brody sent me this blank to try out and to be honest it was one of the easiest acrylic blanks to turn I tried turning one half of it with the roughing gouge and the other half with a carbide chisel and they both cut a treat and left a very good finish I am imprest they are a bit different to turn than rowdys blanks but in the same class all be it one is acrylic the other polyester I for one would buy these blanks if they come on the market
The blank looks as if it is translucent and the tube can be seen but not so it is the blank colouring and it looks a lot better in the hand thank you Brody love it mate

It's a gorgeous blank and a lovely pen. When you say one is acrylic and one polyester what resin is the acrylic made from?

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It's a gorgeous blank and a lovely pen. When you say one is acrylic and one polyester what resin is the acrylic made from?

Peter

I haven't got a clue Peter I have never made these pen blanks all I know is they are very different to turn polyester is quite brittle and can shatter and acrylic is by comparison softer and easer to turn for a novice turner

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I haven't got a clue Peter I have never made these pen blanks all I know is they are very different to turn polyester is quite brittle and can shatter and acrylic is by comparison softer and easer to turn for a novice turner

I wonder if Brody can say if he used PE resin or maybe PU resin for the blank. I have got some polyester that is so soft I can squeeze it, mind you it will eventually go hard.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Great match, a top turner and a top manufacturer coming together gives a great result, well done guys .. :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
View attachment 7744View attachment 7745View attachment 7746

Cor blimey Woody mate. I wasn't expecting a review, thank you very much kind sir. That pen looks bloody lovely mate!!:thumbs::thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I wonder if Brody can say if he used PE resin or maybe PU resin for the blank. I have got some polyester that is so soft I can squeeze it, mind you it will eventually go hard.

Peter

It's just normal PE resin, but I did quite a few test batches, recorded the process, turned them and the result is a PE blank that turns like acrylic. I've got blanks with nice ribbons that come off and am happy with the consistency of them. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Cor blimey Woody mate. I wasn't expecting a review, thank you very much kind sir. That pen looks bloody lovely mate!!:thumbs::thumbs:

Brody, what was the resin you used for the blank?

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's water clear polyester casting resin from East Coast fiberglass supplies Peter mate. I've tried 4 different types of PE resin, and this is my favourite :thumbs:

Thanks Brody, I haven't tried that one, I have just got some from Maragon which is my 3rd different one so will see how that goes, but the water clear does seem better than regular casting resin for nice ribbons when turning.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
New dynasty the Brody bunch very fitting goodnight John boy. feel better now loved the pen, blank and workmanship.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).