• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vulcan Bomber

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
On Sunday, despite the heat and calling of the shed I went into Weston to see the Vulcan Bomber do its thing and am I glad I did. What a noise and the pilot who flew one to the Falklands was sitting in the navigators seat. Although I obviously couldn't see him, it still raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

Attachments

• vulcan.jpg
    vulcan.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 60

Paul

Fellow
It was an amazing logistical challenge too, I remember reading a book on it, and the refueling was touch and go at one point I think.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Great pic Doc!
The heat haze on the tree line works really well, though I think there may be a little to much Blu tac on the right wing, as it seems to be leaning a bit that way:devil::funny::funny::funny:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
What a bloody lovely Plane that was in it's time, some years ago one used to come to Hastings in Carnival week and it used to fly along the seafront, what a noise it used to make climbing nearly straight up over the sea, used to love watching it, amazing!

Jim

Grand Master
I counted them all out and i counted them all back in again .. Great picture Paul .. :thumbs:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
I grew up with these flying over my head into Scampton so low you could see the Blue missiles, still thrills me when I see her today, almost as much as the Lanc.:thumbs:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I was lucky enough to go to a preview of the "Bomber Hall" at RAF Hendon before it opened to the public and got to walk underneath the Vulcan and the Lancaster :thumbs:
Fantastic planes :love_it:

Kawakers

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
i was in bed asleep, with ear plugs in and i still felt the house shudder and vibrate when it flew over. ( working :eeeeek:nights by the way)

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
It was an amazing logistical challenge too, I remember reading a book on it, and the refueling was touch and go at one point I think.

yes it was, they had to use 10 Victors I think or it might have been 12 to refuel each other and the Vulcan to get there.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Bit of a shame that it missed the runway in the Falklands!! Dont believe everything you see in the press or read, those pictures were doctored. It had to fly above the operating height of the Argy Super Es and missed the runway by a country mile. One of the problems was that one of the Sat Nav datums used at the time WGS84 I think was its name was so out from the reality (Some Islands down there were labelled that they laid up to one and a half miles from their charted position) that they dropped the bombs rather haphazardly.

The Vulcan was sent to the Falklands to appease the hierarchy of the RAF who were in a battle to defend their portion of the defence budget and to justify their existance came up with this plan to bomb the runway at Port Stanley. Now the runway was no more than a compacted layer of peat and damage that was done to the runway was repaired, regardless of severity, within about half an hour by bull dozing more peat into the holes.

The farce so infuriated the CO of HMS Glamorgan a Light Guided Destroyer armed with an anti air guided missile designed at the end of the second world war called sea slug, that he disobeyed orders, encroached on the zone off East Falkland that was the limit of the Super Es operating envelope from the mainland, turned his stern towards Port Stanley, plugged in a geographical reference to simulate an air target with an altitude of zero and unleashed two tons of burning twisted metal, at the end of Port Stanley airport. Bingo, surprised everyone with a direct hit, flattened all the outbuildings and scared the argies shitless.

Lovely plane though, designed to deliver an airborne nuclear missile with no great need for accuracy!

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I ought to confess that whilst I love the praise for the photo, I didn't take it, it was another plane alongside it. I'm in the beer tent that you can see on the front there... I'm the one with a pint of Thatchers.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Bit of a shame that it missed the runway in the Falklands!! Dont believe everything you see in the press or read, those pictures were doctored. It had to fly above the operating height of the Argy Super Es and missed the runway by a country mile. One of the problems was that one of the Sat Nav datums used at the time WGS84 I think was its name was so out from the reality (Some Islands down there were labelled that they laid up to one and a half miles from their charted position) that they dropped the bombs rather haphazardly.

The Vulcan was sent to the Falklands to appease the hierarchy of the RAF who were in a battle to defend their portion of the defence budget and to justify their existance came up with this plan to bomb the runway at Port Stanley. Now the runway was no more than a compacted layer of peat and damage that was done to the runway was repaired, regardless of severity, within about half an hour by bull dozing more peat into the holes.

The farce so infuriated the CO of HMS Glamorgan a Light Guided Destroyer armed with an anti air guided missile designed at the end of the second world war called sea slug, that he disobeyed orders, encroached on the zone off East Falkland that was the limit of the Super Es operating envelope from the mainland, turned his stern towards Port Stanley, plugged in a geographical reference to simulate an air target with an altitude of zero and unleashed two tons of burning twisted metal, at the end of Port Stanley airport. Bingo, surprised everyone with a direct hit, flattened all the outbuildings and scared the argies shitless.

Lovely plane though, designed to deliver an airborne nuclear missile with no great need for accuracy!

I think that one of the big surprises for the Argies was that we flew from the UK and bombed them when they thought it would be impossible. I made the sit up an think a bit. If you're interested in the Falklands war from a divers perspective, a good friend of mine who was at the falklands for bomb and mine disposal was Tony Groom. He was on the Glamorgan when it got hit by 2 bombs and had to dispose of them plus several on other ships. He did some death from above stuff with the SBS too flying into Stanly at night to get rid of some minefields. Its a very good read. The book is called 'Diver'... oh did I mention that I get a mention in it too? :funny:

Diver: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Groom: Books

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
They also make a big bang when they crash. I lived on a RAF base where they were stationed and one made me jump when it crashed. Like many I do find this a great looking plane until they hit the afterburners sure makes a roar when they do. A very imposing plane especially when you walk underneath it and when stood next to the blue steel suspended. My dear departed Dad who was in the RAF Police got permission to take me to have the close up look while we were out collecting mushrooms on the airfield. Try and do that today

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I did an HGV course in RAF St Athens and while waiting for the lights to change one day so I could drive down the side of the runway this bloody great thing came in and landed, a Vulcan, I nearly had to change my pants! I look back now and wish I'd had a better look instead of cussing it.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Great pic, whoever took it and a wonderful aircraft, hopefully we will see it over Lincoln / Waddington in a week or so at the air show :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Paul

Fellow
I think that one of the big surprises for the Argies was that we flew from the UK and bombed them when they thought it would be impossible. I made the sit up an think a bit. If you're interested in the Falklands war from a divers perspective, a good friend of mine who was at the falklands for bomb and mine disposal was Tony Groom. He was on the Glamorgan when it got hit by 2 bombs and had to dispose of them plus several on other ships. He did some death from above stuff with the SBS too flying into Stanly at night to get rid of some minefields. Its a very good read. The book is called 'Diver'... oh did I mention that I get a mention in it too? :funny:

Diver: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Groom: Books

My kind of book, I think I'll have a read. Cheers for the pointer. If you have a big part I'll ask for an autograph.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).