• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Horse chestnut log

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Hi all, just back from holiday and I availed myself of nice horse chestnut log about 18in long 10in thick thanks to the canal and river trust at Watford locks. Should I cut it into rough bowl blanks seal the end grain to season it or should I just seal the ends of the log to season? Any help appreciated.
ytuvugeq.jpg

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If nothing else split it down the line of the pith & seal both ends otherwise it will split itself particularly this time of year

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Welcome back Ray mate. hope you had a good holiday. :thumbs:
You could rough turn and seal or split and seal. Just don't leave it as a whole log or before you know it you'll have more splits than a celebrity gossip magazine!!:funny:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll take my chainsaw to it and try to split it. There was a piece like this one but about 3 foot long but I couldn't lift it I had to leave it [emoji22] so if anyone lives near Watford locks on the grand union canal it's lying between the top lock and the next lock [emoji106]

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).