• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I made a Longworth Chuck

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
As it says really, following the post the other day I thought I'll have a bash at that, save myself some cash instead of buying Cole jaws which they want 70 odd quid for.

So, Birch ply 15mm thick (lying around the shed), trip to the homebrew shop for rubber bungs (airlock type) with the hole in already, screws, washers and wingnuts from local builders merchants, Total investment just under a tenner.

Only one small issue, it doesn't bloody work :sob: :sob: So, if you've used one or made one, I assume it should turn freely when on the lathe or should it be laid flat to mount the work?

I used M8 screws in an M8 slot (sits actually 8.5 mm ) and I'm wondering if maybe M6 might have been better, any thoughts anyone? I wondered if a smear of paste wax might help?

Interesting project, just a shame that it's so near yet so far, I can see it's a great piece of kit, when it works.

longworth_800.JPG

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill

Matt

Registered
Good luck with it. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering you'll get it, as you say you are so close :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
An admirable job you have done and it all looks to be assembled correctly.
Only thing i can think of has already been said, rub a bit of candle wax over all moving parts.
Lay it flat and mount the workpiece then fix to lathe.
Could be centre too tight not allowing movement slacken of while mounting workpiece and or use a spacer washer.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well it looks the job and I'm sure that in no time at all you'll have it up and running. :thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Maybe it would slide better if you put nylon washers between
The rubber and the ply rubber may be griping the wood Frankie.

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Hi Phil - The one i posted a few weeks ago has M8 coach bolts with the square shank fitted in the slots from the back. I found that threaded bolt jars in the slots. I also used a locking nut on the centre bolt tightened just so there's a slight friction between the plates, adding the candle wax would also help just keep tweeking once you get it right you'll find the grip is really very good.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Sorry should have said, it has stainless washers between the rubber and the ply.

The centre screw is loctited so that the discs do run free without the rubbers and screws in.

I'll try the candle wax idea and trying to mount it whilst off the lathe, thinking about it, whilst it's vertical the screws will be all over the place and that won't be helping. I guess I'm thinking "chuck" therefore it should work in the vertical plane. Not necessarily so.

Thanks all for the advice and tips, much appreciated.

I will make this work, it looks too good not to :ciggrin:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hi Phil - The one i posted a few weeks ago has M8 coach bolts with the square shank fitted in the slots from the back. I found that threaded bolt jars in the slots. I also used a locking nut on the centre bolt tightened just so there's a slight friction between the plates, adding the candle wax would also help just keep tweeking once you get it right you'll find the grip is really very good.

I thought about doing it that way but the thought of wing nuts being on the same side as me gave me a brown trouser moment, so they're on the back. I may try and get some coach bolts if I can't get it to work as it is.

Ta :up:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Good effort Phill. Looking forward to when you have sorted the problem out and we get to see the photos of it in action :thumbs:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Phil

I made a big one this year, 28 inches across, what I found out was, sand the two mating faces to something like 600 or 800 if you can, give the 2 mating faces a few coats of wax and buff so that they slide easily, then put each disc in a vice, take a strip of sand paper and run it backwards and forwards in each of the slots as if you were shining a pair of shoes, top and bottom until they are smooth, then use washers under the bungs and under the wing nuts when I did all this I had a usable Longworth chuck.

Regards
Kevin

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).