• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

snake skin blanks

its_virgil

Apprentice Member
First Name
Don
I had a very productive saturday getting an order for snake skin blanks made. There are two different skins. On the left, bottom and middle are western diamond back skins from Oklahoma just 35 miles north of where I live in North Texas and on the bottom right is a prairie rattlesnake skin from South Dakota. All of the blanks are one or the other of these. Enjoy and comments welcome.
Do a god turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 20140628_170034-1.jpg
    20140628_170034-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 87

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
They look bang on Don! Have seen a few kits dressed in snake skin. It seems to suit them all. I like the diamond back ones!!:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done but sorry they are not for me I turned one a few years ago from Turners retreat and wasn't imprest with it but that just me I'm sure there is a big demand for them

Jim

Grand Master
Quality, i made and sold two pens made with these snake skins, both bought from Turners Retreat of which i am sure he buys in from the USA .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Not necessarily, they shed skins so maybe not so traumatic. Although I'm sure Don can enlighten us as to are they shed or skinned ?

Curious to know but what do they sell for as blanks Don ?

I think shed skins don't have the colour they are almost transparent. I know that Don actually skins snakes, although I seem to remember that he wisely doesn't hunt them.

Timberbits has some shed skin blanks.

Peter

its_virgil

Apprentice Member
First Name
Don
The skins are not sheds. I buy the diamond back from the butcher room at a local rattlesnake roundup and tan them later as needed. The prairie rattlesnake skins I purchase ready to cast from a fellow in South Dakota. The skins cost me about $5 per foot.
Do a good fur daily!
Don
Not necessarily, they shed skins so maybe not so traumatic. Although I'm sure Don can enlighten us as to are they shed or skinned ?

Curious to know but what do they sell for as blanks Don ?

its_virgil

Apprentice Member
First Name
Don
I do not hunt them. I will skin one if someone calls and tells me they have killed one. Otherwise I buy fresh skins at a local snake roundup each April.
Do a good turn daily!
don

I think shed skins don't have the colour they are almost transparent. I know that Don actually skins snakes, although I seem to remember that he wisely doesn't hunt them.

Timberbits has some shed skin blanks.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Having dived in Bombay High at night with lights all around me, the snakes were attracted. They looked so much better with their heads off!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).