• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ivory Blank

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
does anyone have a source of ivory pen blanks in uk
not just the creamy ones from axminster
i would prefer that aged \ yellow look

Steve

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Pete B is probably your best bet with some Truestone.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I have quite a few pieces of Ivory.
They were gifted to me from the owner of a large house we were renovating.
They are completely useless as I can't SELL them, no one will BUY them.
I was thinking of cutting them into pen blanks but am afraid the government will find a rule against that also. :nonono::nonono:
What can I do.
Don W

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
CITES secured an agreement in 1989 among its member states to ban the international trade in ivory. Hope this helps

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I think that Ivory that is pre 1947 can be sold, but I think the problem lies in provenance of the Ivory, if you can prove it is pre 1947 then it should be okay.

Peter

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I am struggling
waiting for some prices from ivoryalternative.com but material may be a bit soft
pencrafts.co.uk don't have any

looks like I have to order from the states :-(

Steve

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
What's it for Steve would antler not be any good or even bone or will these be too white

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have found over the years alt Ivory veins run across the rod and the only way of showing it of is to turn things that are disk shape it is the nature of the rods and the way they are made

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have just turned a small piece of the Alternative Ivory I got at the weekend and it does indeed have "veins" running through it. I also had what I thought were casein blanks and have just turned a bit of one and that also has "veins" running through it.

I have taken a photo so will upload it if it show up the "veins"

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I believe our Merv did some stunning Ivory blanks some while back, dunno if he still has them on his site but worth a look init?
I have some Holly that you wouldn't know the difference so that could be worth looking into too.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The second photo has had the levels tweaked to show up the veins more.

Now I've seen it I wish I had bought all of it, I hope there is some at the next meeting.

Peter

DSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0141a.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The question is not if it is available, but can you afford it:funny:

The bigger stuff is 34mm dia and I have 5 feet approx.

The smaller stuff I have 8 pieces plus the one in the photo. The pieces have been turned and there are ridges from rough turning, I don't know what they were originally for. Four of them are approx 76mm long by 16-18mm dia. the other 4 are between 80mm and 83mm long by 16mm-18mm and are also rough turned with ridges.

What kit do you want them for?

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).