• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another pleasant day at SOT

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have just come back from another pleasant day spent at the Society of Ornamental Turners, a good lunch followed by a great talk on OT and then the auction.

I manage to get a 5ft length of Alternative Ivory I can't remember the diameter but it was large probably 30mm at the least. Some parallel reamers and an oval skew I already have one, but it was too cheap not to buy it. There was a couple of crown green bowling balls in LV, but the went for more than I was prepared to pay. A great day out.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good for you Peter so pleased you had a good day the Ivory is good for making boxes 5ft I used to buy it in 6" lengths and that was expensive

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Good for you Peter so pleased you had a good day the Ivory is good for making boxes 5ft I used to buy it in 6" lengths and that was expensive

I have just measured it and it is 34mm dia. so a bit small for boxes and a bit to large for pens, but I should imagine it is okay to use as an insert for threading.

Peter

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Nice one Peter, always good to have an interesting day in good company.

All these events seem to be a long way away from me, so I'm thinking of starting my own.
The Northern Association of Spindle Turners Yorkshire. (NASTY) has a certain ring to it:devil::funny::funny::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Nice one Peter, always good to have an interesting day in good company.

All these events seem to be a long way away from me, so I'm thinking of starting my own.
The Northern Association of Spindle Turners Yorkshire. (NASTY) has a certain ring to it:devil::funny::funny::funny:

Would the school hold so many nasties Neil .. :tongue:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Would the school hold so many nasties Neil .. :tongue:

It normally holds 1400 of the afore mentioned Jim!
Luckily they will be on holiday in August!:bwink:

So we can hold our day , National Union of Turners Society (NUTS), in peace:tongue:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Does the Society have regular demos on the various machines used by the members? What is the main type of machine used.? There used to be numbers of the old original units around this country but they are thinning out now however sounds like you had a great time. The U Beaut Forum in Australia has an active section on their forum.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
There are only 4 meeting per year and there may be demos at the meetings I have seen one demo of elliptical box turning, but there are outings and demos at members workshops at various times of the year.

Public pages ©SOT 2014 shows an Oz site for OT.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Sounds like you had a great time and some good buys.

Some interesting items some may be interested in

Attachments

• rose engine construction.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • rose engine drawings.pdf
    576.9 KB · Views: 6
  • rose engine overview.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Sounds like you had a great time and some good buys.

Some interesting items some may be interested in

Thanks for that. They have an extensive book and DVD library with plans for everything, if only I had enough time to go through it all.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).